The Journey

'Watch out,' yelled Madge from the safety of a tree. Jake froze when he looked back. A stream was rushing through a shallow gorge. Possibly, a tributary of the Amazon. Jake Reed felt like it was his last few moments with his corporeal body. The black jaguar before him was growling like a fearful monster. He closed his eyes and the memories poured in.

Two weeks ago, he was happily lounging on his couch with the winter setting in slowly. Minneapolis was haven. Then, the bad times began when he answered that damned phone call, munching a chocolate bar. It was his friend Kevin Torch. Kevin was his best friend from childhood. They grew up in the same neighborhood. When he put the phone near his ears, he heard an excited Kevin screaming gibberish. 'What the hell are you blabbering, twit?' Jake asked apathetically with his mouth full of chocolate. 'Our research papers about the Lost City Of South American civilization has interested the Government of Brazil. They've granted permission to our mission inside the restricted areas of the forest in pursuit of the City. They're so excited but the sad part is that they aren't providing us any manpower for our journey through the jungle. The Congress has voted against using Brazil's manpower for this journey as some powerful legislators have felt this was a useless pursuit keeping in mind what had happened to the Conquistadors and Percy Fawcett.' Jake thought the same too. He loved Anthropological Archaeology as much as Kevin did. They were famous in the University of Minnesota for being brilliant students besides being good looking lads. But, a venture into the most feared jungle in pursuit of a city that many great explorers have failed to find in spite of losing their lives to mysterious causes was a common man's nightmare. The mystery of the disappearance of Percy Fawcett and his crew including his son in the jungle a century ago still sent chills up his spine. 'Maybe, the city doesnt exist,' thought Jake for a moment. But, their probe into the deepest history of the Americas suggested a strong evidence of the city. The City that lured explorers to let them die a fate so horrible. The City of Gold. El Dorado. 'Maybe we should listen to them, Kev. The dangers of the jungle are unknown to mankind besides the deadly Indians in the jungle weve already heard about,' said Jake sheepishly. Kevin wasn't expecting that. 'What are you talking about Jake? This is what we've dreamt about all our life. Now that we've gotten close to it, I'm not letting this slip away,' he snapped. Jake knew he cannot make Kevin reconsider his decision. 'Okay, if our fate was designated to let us die in the jungle, what can change it? So, when are we leaving? Guess, Madge and Laurel are dragged into this too,' Jake said. He was a little happy from the inside because he had a huge crush on Laurel Cruz from his childhood. She was his neighbor. Madge Penn and Kevin were dating for almost seven years despite being best friends since second grade. 'Of course, they are. They are a part of our team. Got to inform them, yet. And Jake,' Kevin stammered. 'What is it?' Jake asked. 'Um, you arent going to like this but..we got no choice. We're gonna have to tag Ron Butcher along with us,' Kevin said awkwardly. 'You've got be kidding me,' barked Jake. He wasn't going to put up with that nasty piece of excrement in a place that was already treacherous. He loathed Ron. 'I'm sorry, Jake. I'm afraid we don't have a choice. Since the Congress of Brazil denied manpower, we can't possibly have someone to guide us. Moreover, it is risky to trust the locals. We need somebody from the Department of Geography that knows well about Amazonia. We know Ron from childhood and he's interested in archaeology too. He's been to Brazil several times before. I know you can't stand him. Neither do I. But, our options are limited.' 'Oh boy! This trip is going to become all the more worse,' thought Jake. 'Okay but he never utters a word to me,' Jake spat. 'Cool then. I'll talk to the girls,' Kevin cut the call.

Jake opened his eyes. Here he is now, stuck between a fierce panther and the furious Amazon river. He couldn't decide which roared louder, the Amazon or the jaguar. He saw Kevin approach from the corner of his eyes. He had a lit torch in his hand. 'Lord, save me,' prayed Jake. 'Don't hurt the panther. Black panthers are rare,' yelled Ron from behind the trunk of the tree. 'If I get out of this situation alive, I swear I'm gonna kill that bastard,' swore Jake under his breath. 'Wait. Ron is hiding behind a huge tree. It is a Wimba. Means we might be close to human settlements,' thought Jake. But, he didn't have time to ponder about it anymore. The panther was approaching. Suddenly, he heard a whistle. Fortunately, the jaguar turned. It was Kevin. Kevin tried to lure the jaguar to him. He succeeded. The jaguar started moving toward Kevin leaving behind a puzzled Jake. Grasping the situation quickly, Jake ran swiftly to the tree where the others were hiding behind. They saw the jaguar approach Kevin. They knew they had to do something. The jaguar was near enough to Kevin for a deadly pounce but it didn't. It stood hesitantly growling. Madge yelled, 'It is afraid of the fire,' in a tone of realization. It struck Jake and the others too. Laurel pulled the scarf from Ron's neck and tied it to a fallen branch beneath her. 'Gimme a lighter,' she ordered. Ron whined with shock. 'That scarf was made from the finest wool from Tibet. Give it back to me.' 'Shut up! I aint asking you. Besides its pretty humid,' said Laurel silencing him with a glare. This girl is badass thought Jake with pride. 'Give it to me,' said Jake grabbing the stick, lit by Madge. He advanced toward the jaguar. The panther turned suddenly when he got near it. Now, the panther was stuck between two tall humans with a vicious element in their hands. Fire. The panther growled at Jake ferociously. He took a step back widening the gap between him and the jaguar. The jaguar sensed heat from behind. Kevin moved forward with the torch on his outstretched hand. It was the jaguar's only chance. The panther fled the scene in the direction left to the Wimba tree. Damn the humans. Kevin let out a heavy sigh and collapsed on the ground.