i. falling

Charlie Dalton, on one night, revealed to himself the unexpected.

Countless thoughts of denial followed the revelation but every time he did as simply as lay eyes on Knox, his insides would start squirming and his mind would irritate him with unpleasant wonders.

I have not fallen for Knox Overstreet. Never in a million years would I do something as ridiculous.

When the two of them were sat on a bench near the fire, multiple books scattered on the table before them, Knox just wouldn't stop talking about Chris. His admirations towards her were endless and his determination to have her for himself were daunting.

"You know what, Knoxious?" Charlie cut in, slamming his palm on a written page of a heavy book. "Fuck Chris."

The look on Knox's face was beyond offended. His eyes shallowed as he snapped his head towards Charlie and showed him a look of danger and hurt. "Charlie!"

"I'm serious." He said. "Why can't your thick brain understand that you'll never be with her? You haven't a chance, just give up."

"I won't give up now, not when I've gotten so close to her. What do you know, Charlie? My chances with her are thriving." It irritated Charlie extraordinarily how Knox's expression would shift from a neutral one to a look of love and yearning whenever he began to talk about his Chris. "What's the matter with you anyway? Weren't you encouraging me to talk to her the other day? For God's sake, what happened now?"

"God, you are so fucking blind, Knox Overstreet." Charlie was already getting up and gathering his books. "Good night, I should go to bed before Cameron falls asleep and starts mastering the art of snoring."

Knox was left to stare at the roaring fire, accompanied only by thoughts of unidentifiable confusion. To him, the last minute was a rubbed up blur. He had no idea what had just happened and his reach towards the answer didn't stretch far enough.

Merely two minutes later, Neil dropped on the bench beside him where Charlie was, sending Knox a knowing glance. "What upset you so much? It's Chris, isn't it?"

"No, dammit, it's not Chris. Well, of course Chris. It's always Chris. But Charlie-" Knox spoke in exasperation, performing a really good job at emphasizing it. "I don't understand what's wrong with him!"

"What did he do?" Neil asked, shifting his body to face the lost boy, resting his face in his palm.

"We were just studying and talking and then suddenly, he gets all offensive and starts telling me I have no chance with Chris and how- and how I should give up on her."

"So he finally gave in," Neil muttered to himself.

"What does that mean? Gave in to what?"

"Never mind that." Neil motioned with his hands, brushing away the thought. "Maybe you should open your eyes for once, Knox. You're being too oblivious." He spoke as he gave Knox's back a few pats. "Anyway, Todd needs me with something. Goodnight."

"Neil, wait- what do you mean? Why do all of you speak in codes?! Neil!" Knox called in desperation but Neil neglected him and strode out of the room with a smirk. Getting on Knox's nerves never bored the young gentlemen.

Knox was way too frustrated to stay there and do nothing. But there were no procedures for him to take. He began mindlessly wondering and pacing around, earning glares from the occupants of the room.

Knox Overstreet wanted so much but had no path to guide him.