14

lunch went by quickly after hayden and annie disappeared.

mackenzie was disappointed that her plan didn't work, but surprisingly, she still had a good time.

her, lauren, and brynn started to become really close in just one lunch period and mackenzie was excited to hang out with lauren soon.

she regretted never giving her a chance.

her and johnny barely talked the whole lunch period, but johnny planned on having a lot to say later in the hour and a half car ride after school. he was still weirded out by everything that happened yesterday. it was like him and mackenzie were almost being... nice to each other.

she also kept dozing off even more than she usually does, but he couldn't blame her. he probably was too.

no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get his mind off the girl that he met at the dance. he was so dumb to have not asked for her name. 

he didn't want to be desperate, but he couldn't take it anymore. he planned to try every digit out with the first part of her number so that way he could find her. it was the least he could do. luckily, she only left off the last digit, making it easy for him.

he had already tried it with number 1, but no luck. 

he texted asking for a girl from the masked ball but the number texted back wrong number, sorry.

the rest of the school day passed by and just before she was going to meet johnny, she was talking to brynn and annie by her locker.

"alright, so we're on for tomorrow after school? i'll buy us all ice cream!" brynn said excitedly.

annie laughed, eyes bright "for sure. i have so much to tell you guys."

brynn and mackenzie tried not to roll their eyes. this was getting old. they needed to do something about hayden, as soon as possible. 

mackenzie put it off, hoping that she would have time to talk to brynn about a plan soon. she glanced at her phone to see that she probably should be leaving now. "sounds good! i gotta go but i'll text you guys tonight."

"good luck with maddie... you got this, kenz." annie replied with a smile.

brynn added, "and with johnny!"

"thanks, i'll definitely need it," mackenzie said, closing her locker and walking away, "but fuck you guys for being busy today and not giving me a ride!" 

as she started getting further and further away from them, she could still hear them laughing. as she was walking to johnny's locker, she slammed right into a boy's chest.

she was about to fall, but the boy had a good grip on her waist and saved her from possibly breaking her butt.

it felt oddly familiar. 

could it be the boy from the dance?

she looked up and met a pair of bright green eyes and messy dirty blond hair. johnny. 

nope, wasn't mystery boy.

"orlando! just the guy i was looking for. are we still on for today?" mackenzie said, cheery.

"unfortunately." johnny replied, bringing his hands away from her waist.

it was then mackenzie realized they had been in an... awkward position. her face warmed up as she tried to break the silence that overtook them.

johnny coughed, "anyways..."

"u- um" kenzie said, sniffling.

the boy scratched the back of his neck, "we should start going soon, i don't want to spend any more extra time with you than i already have to."