Ch. VIII: The Warriors

The children had not run far when a thundering roar began to build behind them. They hastened a glance over their shoulders, back towards the long grass road they had just entered from, spun around so suddenly they almost toppled over, and stared agape at the scene rapidly unfolding before their eyes.

"People..." whispered Jessica breathlessly, and not without some surprise.

Said people came running over a small rise down one end of the glade, armed with all manner of swords, spears, staffs, bows, knives, and daggers. A pitchfork and a farmer's goad or two dotted the assembling ranks, a little at odds with the rest of the weaponry, particularly some of the staffs, but held aloft assuredly as any battle trident. The eclectic arsenal's blades and other reflective components glinted fiercely in the light of the sun as both men and women rushed forth with a cacophony of battle cries so fierce and wild as to almost rival their ever more fearsome, wilder enemy.

The beast snarled and reared to its full height, most of the warriors slowing their course in response. They gave the animal a wide berth, but the few staff-wielders among them continued forward, forming a thin frontline. They stood their ground then, their staffs gripped firmly in hand.

Just as the beast had raised one of its great paws, a thick, swirling aura of iridescent blue-green quickly conjured around the ends of the frontline warriors' singular weapons and shot out with a great vrrroom! The streams of light flowed with the density of quicksand around the beast's enormous body, and, much like quicksand, it was unable to move after being caught in its hold.

With their target restrained, the rest of the warriors got to work. They had it surrounded in seconds, running to and fro as they prepared their other weapons and directed their plan of attack.

A great number of them wore similar earth-green garments, draped in varying ways across their bodies. These warriors appeared to be in some kind of uniform, while the rest were somewhat less coherent in their dress, about every third or fourth outfit a singular medley of designs and colours; various combinations of vaguely recognisable styles coming together to create something familiar, yet starkly unique. Diverting fashion aside, they were also strong, fierce-looking warrior people, staring down a gigantic, ravenous monster, and the children were transfixed in absolute awe.

It wasn't long before the staff-wielders began to show signs of weariness and, consequently, their magic hold over the beast grew weaker. Amid grimaces and cries of dismay, one or two of them stumbled and almost dropped their staffs as if the objects themselves – some straight and metallic, others crooked and gnarled like large, wizened tree roots – had gained tremendous weight in their hands. As soon as they faltered, the glowing auras around their instruments evaporated with a sudden, shimmering burst and dissipated wholly into the air. These warriors tried to reconjure their magic, but were too weak to hold onto the gathering mist for more than a few seconds.

The strength of the rest of them gave out soon after and with an almost triumphant heave the beast was free once more. It reared again and did not hesitate to slash its razor-sharp claws at the people now surrounding it. In size, they were but ants to it, yet the ferocious creature still feared them and the sting of their weapons. Most of them managed to jump out of the way, but some were knocked back against the tree lines. It swung a back-handed paw and threw a few more unfortunate warriors into each other, sending them sprawling across the grass like ragdolls.

One warrior managed to stand his ground longer than the rest. He thrust his spear straight for the creature's neck! Feeling a prick against its throat, the beast turned its gaze towards him for an instant before he, too, was sent flying by another swipe from its massive paw, landing with a thud just a ways in front of the petrified children.

The archers toward the back were now prepared and knocked their arrows into their bowstrings. Spear-wielders drew their pointed weapons back at the ready. Tied to the end of the arrows were long lengths of rope. Swiftly, the archers let their arrows fly to find their targets, sailing effortlessly through the air. The arrows sunk deep into the animal's hide, piercing at several points its shoulders, forelegs, hind legs, chest and back. As each arrow struck its mark, the beast roared. It slashed away at the ropes in fury, fraying only but a few. Remarkably, the majority of the ropes remained whole and taut against the creature's claws. Thin rivers of dark, plum-coloured blood oozed from the small cuts in the beast's skin, forming sickening, purple stains in its silver fur. Though mere splinters to the great animal, they stung like Hell.

Swiftly after the first, another wave of archers stepped up and bombarded the animal with twice as many arrows. Before the beast could tear at the restraints again, the warriors ran around it with the ropes in hand, wrapping them around and around, trapping the beast's limbs against its body. They kept going until the restraints were so tight it could no longer raise a limb. The great animal writhed and whined. Then, the warriors came together, and with a final heave, they brought the creature to the ground.

The children watched with wide-eyed horror as the spear-wielders and the knife, sword, and dagger-bearers stepped towards the beast with grim resolve. They couldn't tear their eyes away from the scene, a morbid anticipation gripping them like a vice.

They saw the beast hopelessly raise its deep, weary eyes. It could have been said that it had already given up, even before the beautiful spears were plunged into its side. It reared its head in pain one last time, and the once rampageous animal let out a pitiful cry. Its rigid body went limp and its great head came crashing down to the ground.

The beast was dead.