Chapter 11

Katie's - POV

I woke up with a pounding headache. It was so bad that it felt like my head would split open. I guess I did have space available for another type of pain.

Someone was sitting in a chair near me, but by this time I was in too much pain and too exhausted to really care anymore.

"If you're going to kill me, just do it already." I said, in a flat voice, my voice barley audible with how dry my throat was.

"Why would we want to kill you?" A woman's voice answered as she got up front the chair and walked over towards me. "You're our newest recruit."

Recruit? For what?

My mind boggled by that revelation and I struggled to understand why they would choose me and if I was their recruit why would they do this to me and what were they recruiting me for?

Despite the swelling and bruising, she must've seen the confusion on my face because she stroked my numb cheek and said, "Why wouldn't we want you? You have exactly what we look for in a new recruit," She moved to the door, "Although your fighting technique is something that we really need to improve fast."

Fighting.

I don't know how to fight. I've never got into a fight before and I have never taken any fighting lessons before.

What was I even being recruited to, because if my earlier experience of being battered had anything to do with what they did I wanted nothing to do with them.

My thoughts were interrupted as a smartly dressed man walked into the room holding a clipboard.

"Good evening Ms.Bloom," So it was later in the day than I had thought. "I'm your assigned doctor until you've recovered from your injuries."

He walked over to me, clipboard in hand and got his pen ready.

"Can you tell me where the pain is." He said with a stunning smile.

I didn't see any other choice and maybe he could even help me. So I answered him.

"Everywhere." I said in a raspy voice, unrecognisable to my own ears.

"And where is the pain the worst?"

I thought from a minute, analysing where the main source of pain was before telling him that it was my knee, in an even weaker voice.

"Lastly, how much do you know about what we're doing here?"

I managed a subtle shake of my head which he correctly interpreted as me not knowing anything other than they had kidnapped me and hurt me badly.

"Well, you see Ms.Bloom." He started. "The organisation I work for specialises in training young girls to become cold blooded killers."

"You see," He said, walking around the room with his hands resting on the small of his back. "The world is a very dangerous place, which I'm sure you already know, and someone has to keep everything in order. Things like making sure the right person gets into power or that no one is spilling the very classified secrets. For example, this organisation."

An assassination organisation...

'Why me specifically' I wanted to ask but couldn't force the words out of my distorted mouth.

"You must be wondering why we picked you and not other girls who might be more qualified." I was surprised that he could tell the basis of my thoughts. "Now I don't know who, but someone high up in our organisation has said that you would be a great recruit as you're truly good. Which always means that once broken you'll be truly bad."

I didn't feel anything anymore, I could feel tears welling up in my eyes and I tried to blink them away but failed. Soon my cheeks were covered in salty tears that got into every cut and I could barley see anymore.

"Hmm." I heard the man mutter, "You're going to be a fun one to break."

A cold chill went up my spine and the delicate hunger that was beginning to surface vanished. I felt sick.  Before I could even think about trying to move he was on top of me with a needle in his hand.

I looked on in fear as he got it ready.

"This is my best creation yet." He said, seemly in awe. "It makes certain parts of the parietal lobe fire at excessive rates putting the human body in an excruciating amount of pain for hours on end. I've always wanted to try it out on a person already in pain."

He said all this in a calm voice, just as when he had seemed to care for me, which is what made this that much scarier.

"I'm going to have fun with this." He muttered under his breath before injecting me with the concoction.

The pain I felt in that moment surpassed any other I had felt before, including the torture at the hands of the Mamba.

My memory, for some time, was extremely hazy as I had been going in and out of consciousness due to the unbearable pain.

Sometimes I'd get glimpse of a girl next to my bed, although I couldn't make anything out apart from her red hair, before I was pulled under again.

                              ~~~~~~~~~

I released a groan as I came to, surprised that a lot of the pain was gone. Even my throat was no longer as dry.

"Hello." I heard from my right, startlingly me.

I turned as quickly as my body allowed me only to come face to face with a girl who had red hair.

Just like what I had seen while on the mixture of drugs.

I stared at her and she did the same to me. We both studied each other. Me, because I hadn't seen another person around my age in here and her, well, I could only guess what horrible thoughts she was having if she was anything like any of the other people here.

"I brought you something," She said, putting a tray on my lap and a fork in my hand that I now realised was no longer in a cast. "Can you sit up?"

"No." I said, being unintentionally short with her.

"Let me help you with that." She said, before gently leaning me forward and then moving the back of the bed up so it rested behind me again.

I gave her a nod, my voice already feeling kind of weak.

I started eating straight away, forcing food in my mouth quickly, only now realising how hungry I was.

I heard a small laugh from beside me and glaced at the redhead to see that she had a small smile on her face.

I wasn't embarrassed like I would usually have been. I had gone through so much already that this was nothing. I just went back to eating in exactly the same way.

She moved her chair back and headed towards the door so I quickly finished my mouthful as I still didn't know who she was.

"Who are you?" I asked, just as she had opened the door.

She stopped right in the door way and looked back at me. "I'm Drew, and I'm your partner."

Partner?

I didn't dwell on it though as I had enough questions about my situation to last a life time and I didn't think I was getting any of them answered any time soon.