A New Sun to See

Another normal day to wake up to. Birds chirping loudly through my open window as the bright sunlight shines in. I sigh and sit up in bed, petting my newly made afro down, slowly creeping my way to the bathroom to get ready. I smile to myself in the mirror, although my vision is blurry without my glasses, I can still clearly see how my messy hair is surrounding my imperfect face. After I do my business and brush my hair and teeth, I make my way back to my room and put on my large, round glasses, finally able to see the space around me clearly. Once more I take a sigh before starting my walk down the halls of my house and into the kitchen, grabbing the remote and pressing play on the TV. Currently it was in the middle of an episode of Smurfs, odd, but I leave the childhood classic displayed as I start my coffee. A nice light blend by a brand called Donot Shop Coffee, loose style.

I press start on the coffee pot and walk over to my fridge, opening it and pulling out some raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and some vanilla yogurt. Opening my cupboard I also pull out some granola and cut up the strawberries, quickly making myself up a small fruit parfait, by the time I finish, the coffee pot has also finished brewing my delicious dirty bean water. I take out my large black mug that has "DON'T TOUCH ME PEASANT" written on the side along with my travelers mug for when I go to work, still an hour to go before then though. I fill up my mugs and place my travelers mug off to the side, not needing it for a little while. I sit at the table as I look over the counter that helps divide the kitchen and the living room, continuing to watch the smurfs play across the screen until the episode ends.

Suddenly, the world around me starts to shake and it doesn't take long for an emergency alert to appear on the screen. Obnoxious but constant beeps ring through my ears.

ALERT
EARTHQUAKE WARNING

The words echo in my head as I stare in awe at the blue screen ahead of me. Quickly, I get out of my state of shock, the ground rocking me around. I make a terrified attempt to rush to my room, trying to gather my most important possessions. This includes a backpack that holds my Star Trek outfits and my favorite two books, a small blanket and pillow, my phone, my Spock figurine, a small first aid kit and my newest sketchbook and pencils.

The entire time I'm looking for my bag, the broadcast cracks through my fear.

"THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE CANADIAN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. AT 4:32 AM PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME A 10 EARTHQUAKE STRUCK THE DOWNTOWN TORONTO AREA. EXTENSIVE DAMAGE AND LOSS OF LIFE HAS BEEN REPORTED. EARTHQUAKE REPORTED TO BE OCCURRING IN RANDOM PLACES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. AT THIS TIME ALL RESIDENTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO BE PREPARED FOR AN EARTHQUAKE. IF YOU ARE INSIDE WHEN ONE OCCURS GET UNDER A DESK, WORK BENCH, OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE AND STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS, WALLS, AND OTHER OBJECTS THAT MAY FALL ON YOU. ONCE THE SHAKING STOPS EVACUATE THE BUILDING IMMEDIATELY. IF YOU ARE OUTSIDE WHEN ONE OCCURS, MOVE AWAY FROM BUILDINGS, UTILITY POLES, TREES, AND OTHER OBJECTS. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BATTERY POWERED RADIO WITH EXTRA BATTERIES AS POWER OUTAGES HAVE BEEN REPORTED ACROSS THE WORLD. STAY TUNED TO KNOW ALL HAZARDS RADIO, COMMERCIAL RADIO, OR TELEVISION OUTLETS, FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE SITUATION"

Only a second of silence falls before the loud beeps start up once more. At this point I have found my bag and am throwing on my coat, windup flashlight in hand. Ignoring the instructions given out to me. My secret place isn't too far from here, so all I have to do is run.

Right, straight, right, straight, sharp left, continue straight, then you're there. An open field that's framed with trees. Beautiful, rich green grass all around me, even if a tree were to fall, they are too far away to hit anywhere near me. There's no joke in it being an open field. I sit in about the middle of the field and take a sigh, trying to stabilize myself as the ground continues shaking excessively. I try my hardest to pull out the small first aid kit that is hidden inside of my bag, my arms, hands, and knees need bandages from the numerous times that I have stumbled down to the ground. My arms have scrapes from impact and my hands have scrapes and cuts from catching myself from the falls, a couple of small glass shards partly inside of my right hand. My jeans have been ripped through, allowing for them to have major road rash with tiny rocks pushed inside of my knees and legs in certain spots wherever the fabric had been ripped away from. I'm bleeding more than I care to and the pain is strong. But with the earthquake raging on, I can't really do very much. There's no use in crying, I learned that lesson quite a while ago.