Chapter 3 - Professor Marwall

Jessa hopped over the potholes and crossed the stone paved street. She stopped in front of her neighbor's gate. The gate was closed.

"Hello?"

She was trying to find the buzzer. The closest thing was the doorknocker on the front door, but it was behind the gate and so far away. How was the mailman able to deliver his mail anyway? Jessa squeezed through the rusty gates and made her way to the front door. She tried to grab the marigold ring below the crest. Usually, the crest on the doorknocker would have a painted pegasus or a unicorn; if not those, it would be a family crest. This one had a griffin instead.

"Oh! What a run!" cheered the person inside the house. It sounded like he was watching the race. Jessa still could not reach the ring. Frustrated, she knocked on the door instead.

Within seconds, the doorknob turned and the front door opened. An old man stood before Jessa.

He was tall and skinny and still in his pajamas. "Yes?" asked the old man.

"My father sent me over here to apologize... I adjusted your receiver so we could watch--"

Jessa stopped herself. She knew what she said was only half true.

"I  adjusted your receiver so I  could watch the race from another station."

She felt better for taking her own responsibility, but that didn't mean she wasn't scared.

She lowered her head, ready for a scolding.

"Oh! How fantastic!" said the old man. "I was wondering why the images cleared up all of a sudden. Please, come in."

Jessa was surprised by the old man's reaction. She suddenly didn't know what to say. "But, I--"

"And who might this little thing be?" the old man interjected.

Jessa turned back. Ryder was right behind her, in the rain.

"Ryder? What are you doing outside?"

Jessa picked Ryder up. Their backdoor was slightly ajar. She forgot to close their door properly again. That door was still on her father's "to fix list."

"You named it Ryder? Fascinating," said the old man. "You must have known this is a female chimera, correct?"

"Yeah... I just like the name, 'Ryder.' "

Jessa avoided eye contact with the old man. She didn't want to look dumb in front of a stranger.

"Fair enough," he said. "Chimeras don't like to get wet. It causes them to lose body heat.

She must be very fond of you."

"Oh...?"

Jessa was fascinated by the old man's insight on chimera, but she also remembered why she was here.

"Again... I am very sorry for using your salver-receiver. I'll go change our antenna back right away."

"Wait..." said the old man. "What's your name?"

"Jessa-- Jessalyn Hiltsmith."

"Oh! A Hiltsmith," he replied. "So your a daughter of a hiltsmith?"

"No... My father's a steam mechanic. I think my great-grandfather was a hiltsmith." 

"Well, Jessa, great-granddaughter of a hiltsmith. You must get a cup of tea for fixing my receiver," the old man pleaded. "That is what people drink here, correct?"

Jessa was not expecting the old man to be so friendly. He didn't seem to care about formality or the traditions here at all. He nudged Jessa and patted Ryder with his skinny hand and led them into his house.