Chapter 95

I had never seen chaos like this before. Girls rushing around one of the gymnasiums at the academy dressing in their dance costumes finding someone to do their hair and makeup. I try to bite down my anxiety. While chaperones try to calm the chaos.

While I sit in the corner of the gymnasium with the 4 year olds.

The rest of my year mates hovering a few feet away.

"Please Lena sit still." I say quietly making her fidget in front of me.

"I'm sorry Kara. I'm excited." The small girl apologizes me making me smile.

I run the brush through her red hair just like I did to all the other little girls.

"It's perfectly normal to be excited. Just let me finish your hair then you'll be good to go." I tell her. Once I finish the small girls hair she gives me a toothy smile.  I continue to do their hair as they giggle and talk. I take them one by one to the bathroom to get dressed in their blue leotard with a white tutu.

They finish early compared 7-11 year olds who were rushing to find a older student to do their hair. If they ask I help them as well.

Once it's show time for the kids I watch as they all perform. My chest tightening as it's getting time for the 4 year olds to perform. I rush back stage to see all 8 of the little girls and the two boys in the class all chatter excitedly. They are announced as they all walk proudly onto the stage. Not quite getting into the right spots so I tip toe on stage putting them all in the right place like I was instructed to do. The crowd is full of parents who clap loudly for their young children. The music starts and it doesn't matter they are slightly out of sync or that they forget the movements the parent absolutely eat up the adorable children.

I smile brightly as they all run off stage.

"You all did wonderful." I tell them making them all beam happily.

I give them all hugs and bring them back to the gym while they wait for their parents to gather them and bring them watch the rest of the show.

All the kids do great and around 3:00 all of the performances are over. I chew my lip nervously as I get into my first outfit. A dark grey long sleeve shirt and some matching shorts. While I stand next to Olivia in a pure white dress. She does my makeup for dance. It isn't anything special just eyeliner and mascara. I fill in my eyebrows and put tinted chapstick on.

I play with my fingers after doing Olivia's hair. Her hair style and mine are different. Mine is braided into a bun at the base of my head. Hers is higher and has more volume. Her makeup is more complex and has glitter covering her eye lids. My stomach aches with nerves as the time to perform grows sooner.

"How are you so calm?" I question over the bustling gymnasium.

"Because I know we are going to do great. We have been training for months Kara. We know this dance. We have this... I promise we will do wonderfully. Just have a little faith if me and yourself." She tells me sternly pulling me into a hug as the dance teacher calls our names to go back stage.

We are up next.

I breathe out shakily as I peek around the corner looking at the two story auditorium covered in rows and seats.

I can barely see any faces so I can't know where my family is.

I watch as the three girls a year above me bow as they are applauded by the crowd.

"Next we have a duet Co-Choreographed and danced by Olivia Unis and Karaline Mathis." The announcer says over the speaker. My heart pounds loudly in my ears my hands sweat as Olivia and I step onto stage we are greeted with cheers from Finnick, Dylon and Antwon who are amongst the loudest.

'I can do this.' I think glancing at Olivia as she pulls me with her on stage.

Mags' POV

I sit hand in hand with Finnick.

All the other dances were beautiful. There is no debating that.

Something tells me whatever Kara and Olivia have in store for us is something we will never forget.

"Next we have a duet Co-Choreographed and danced by Olivia Unis and Karaline Mathis." The announcer says making us cheer loudly.

Co-Choreographed? Wait. It's clear Finnick wonders the same thing as he looks at me.

I watch as Olivia and Kara step on the stage. I watch Dylon in front of me bounces in his seat in anticipation. His dad pats his hand softly making me smile. While Annie hasn't made an appearance much to Dylon's irritation and her parents wishes. I knew when Kara found out about this it would hurt her but I can't bring myself to ponder that as Olivia stands a few feet behind Kara who lays down on the stage.

The contrast of Kara in black and Olivia in white shocks me. In all the other duets the outfits were identical.

The music starts softly as I grip Finnick's hand.

I watch as the slow song starts. It's clear it's not just a dance. The whole room is silent watching the two girls as if the whole world faded and it's just them.

Olivia mentioned this dance was dedicated to Kara but I didn't give it much through. This song represents something we all see Kara's struggle with her darkness. Her depression.

I've been around for a long time. I've seen Victors come and go. Live long lives and die young.

Kara is drowning and it's only going to get worse. Every second. From Olivia guiding Kara's movements. Picking her back up. Kara's rejection of help no matter how persistent Olivia is in wanting to help.

One part started to choke me up.

Kara has a warm heart and a beautiful brain but if she doesn't get better and find ways to defeat her demons it will all be lost.

A little part of me wishes this was a story of triumph. That the darkness loses and Kara walks proudly off stage hand in hand of Olivia. Her being the "light" to Kara's darkness. But Olivia gives up. Pushing Kara away. I watch as Kara falls to the ground scrawling and curling up as the music fades.

There is a moment of silence. It's almost heart shattering before a roar of applause breaks through the auditorium.

I see tears in people's eyes. I feel tears in my eyes as Finnick grips my hand tighter.

Kara... oh my god my sweet flower.

Realization flows through us knowing Kara chose the last part. Where Olivia leaves her alone and give up. She choreographed it. That's how she sees herself.

That eventually we will all give up and leave her. 

She's wrong. We will never give up on her.

Not as long as we both are still breathing. Johanna doesn't last long after the performance. Obviously she sees herself in it and steps out to gather herself.

Kara is struggling. Kara feels she is losing her battle. She will never lose as long as she has faith.

The only thing left to do is to give Kara something to have faith in.

Authors note!
Welp now that that is over I'm putting the video to the dance riiiiight here

It's literally the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in this lifetime. I actually cried. Let me know how you all like it.