↳ loki laufeyson - thor (2011)

And if finds me,

The fight inside is coursing through my veins.

And it's raging,

The fight inside is breaking me again.

NOTHING AND EVERYTHING, by Red

═══════ ◈ ═══════

❝I never wanted the throne, I only ever wanted to be your equal!❞

I never wanted the throne, I only ever wanted to be your equal!

Well, in order to ease everyone's suffering, I'm going to break this talk about Loki into parts via movie. First up, Thor. Stay tuned for more.

═══════ ◈ ═══════

...

This is going to be interesting. I actually didn't watch this movie until after I saw the Avengers. It had been on my radar, but I never made the time. So yeah, after witnessing Tom Hiddleston's performance in the Avengers, I wanted to see what the set up had been with the origin story for the God of Thunder and co. I mean, how does one not want to investigate after watching that?

I'll spare you my thoughts on this movie for now—but I can say right off the bat, the villainous Loki that I had seen in the Avengers was different here. I now understood why. If you take a step back and analyze him a bit, you'll begin to understand too. A lot of his behavior is a result of his upbringing. For instance, right off the bat, we see Odin promising Asgard to his sons. In reality, we know it is only Thor's to claim, especially when it flashes to his present day coronation. Loki at some point in his upbringing picked up on that. He believed that he was hindered from the crown, simply because he was not the golden child. It was not until later in this movie that he saw that there was more to it—and that reality came crashing down upon him in the most brutal way too.

Anyway, as I briefly mentioned, Thor and Loki are very similar in this movie at the start. There is a lot of parallels, and as I said the reason for that is their upbringing. They are royalty. They are use to getting what they want without objections. The big difference is, that Thor had a humbling experience that grounded him by the end of the movie. He learned. Loki did not.

In reality, things probably would have not became so ugly had Loki been told the truth of his heritage long before. I think what made it worse for him was the fact that growing up he had heard nothing but horrendous tales about the Frost Giants. They're associated with all that is a blight upon the world and for him to find out he was one of the same—it was crushing. Loki had already struggled with insecurities, that was so very evident, but to come to the conclusion that it was not because of his actions, but because of who he was caused him to snap. It had been such poor parenting to basically paint anyone that was not Asgardian in such a bad light.