Prologue

WOLFMANIA FANFIX

Wandering to the Alpha:

Chapter Forty Eight

He was standing there, just a few feet away from me. Silver beams danced off pale blond hair, and eyes gleamed around a shadowed face, ice and gold. His aura was overwhelming me - which made no sense. This was no Alpha.

Yet he was beautiful...

He looked fragile, like a snowflake. I watched him from the shadows as he cocked his head to the left. Those angelic eyes were watching me.

My heartbeat picked up. I suddenly realised - it was ME too. My wolf leaped to her paws, excited. And there was that PULL... I'd felt it with Daniel, but this was not like the beta bond. This was... something else. Darker, and sweeter, and much, much stronger. I felt inexplicably drawn to him in a way that was completely beyond sense.

I walked forward at the second he did. Somehow, I'd lost control. I reached out my hand, and ever so gently, he brushed my fingertips with his.

And the world EXPLODED.

Tingles rushed through my entire body, lighting me up like a flame to kerosene. I was Blown. Away. I saw his eyes widen. My own eyes were frozen, latched onto his. Time itself slowed down, as his eyes drifted up from our fingers, over my neck, hovering over my lips, and finally to my eyes. I felt a jolt pass through me, and the place where our fingertips were touching BURNED. My wolf, Lana, started jumping. And I was faintly aware of the chanting at the back of my head. MATE. MATE. MATE. MATE. MATE. MATE. MATE...

"Do you feel it too?"

I nod, unable to swallow. He smiles a small smile, and clasps my hand between his. Tightly. I give him a gentle squeeze. "My wolf..."

He smiles in response, and

My.

Heart.

Stops.

Slowly, he slips a hand behind my head, into my hair. A soft breath slips past my parted lips. He gives me tiny crooked grin, and leans forward, pulling me towards him. We've all heard of the mating kiss, the one we have to do when we meet our life partner. I oblige, and move in. My eyes dart down to his lips before I can stop myself. And it's all the encouragement he needs.

His lips softly brush mine... and god, they're so SOFT. My knees go weak, and I bring my own hands up round his neck to stop myself from falling. I pull him in closer, but - my ears pick up a rustle beyond him. He pulls away. I bite back a whimper.

"I'm sorry, my mate, but my pack is coming, and I cannot let them see me with you." He ducks his head, and swears softly. He meets my eyes again. "I will regret this forever, but I have to go. Run away from them. You'll be safe."

And then he darted away.

I exhaled a puff of air I didn't even realise I was holding, and looked back to where, moments ago, he had been standing. "Until another time, silver angel of the night," I whispered. I hoped he would come again. I knew, without a doubt, that I would. My eyes travelled over the trees around me, but he was gone. I smiled a small, wan smile, and stepped into the patch of moonlight, and - suddenly, a presence next to me. "Just until tomorrow night, my princess. Same time, same place." I feel a soft breath sliding over my ear, and he presses his warm lips onto my cheek for a second before slipping away again. A shiver passes through me, one of delight and excitement, and I turn around, and flee away into the shadows, my heart racing in a million different emotions.

I sigh, and pull my fingers away from the keyboard. My eyes travel over the few paragraphs that I just wrote, and I make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes. I click Save, and store it in my drafts.

Thursdays are my upload days, so... I have a few days to catch up. I log out of my account and shut down my laptop, hauling myself away from my desk. I grab a couple of black pens, stuff my phone in my pocket, grab my easel with my latest project still pinned onto it. I leave a note on the fridge for my parents, before I head out.

My parents' house was near the centre of town, and the old buildings were more common on the west side. I took the bus over to Sudbury Road, where, on the bench, I had the perfect angle to draw a tower on one of the old castles. It was a twenty minute bus ride, but there were multiple arches carved into the base, all with a deep carvings, and the others were too hard to do properly... Plus, it was sunny today, perfect weather to sit out. I worked on the sketch for a few hours, content to simply sit out and draw. The detailing was the hardest bit, but our teacher insisted on it more than anything else. And he was a tough grader, too.

I had set out to finish most of it, but I was surprised I had gotten so much done. In fact, I stayed out an hour too late. It was sunset by the time my buzzing phone jostled me out of my stupor. It lit up, telling me the time.

Shit.

I shoved my stuff into my bag and ran. Sudbury Road was a ten minute walk from the bus stop, and I had only a few minutes...

The stop was deserted by the time I got there.

"Fuck." Of all the days for it to be on time...

Miserably, I pulled out my phone. It was a forty minute wait till the next bus, and I was running out of battery. My parents were out of town for the weekend, so I was on my own.

I sighed, and sat down on the bench. It was getting colder too. I glared at the thin cardigan I'd brought with me and pulled it on, wishing I hadn't been fooled by the sun this afternoon. I crossed my arms and closed my eyes, leaning back against the glass behind me.

***

I awoke what seemed like hours later.

Cursing, I switched on my phone. 1:37 am. I was on two percent.

The last bus would've gone ages ago. I cursed again, at myself, for falling asleep. I was probably an hour's walk away from home. Getting up, I powered off my phone and tucked it away. Hopefully that would last long enough that I could switch it on again if I ran into trouble. I picked out my wallet. I had one 50p coin. One call.

I started walking up the road.

***

The streets were deserted.

Darkness loomed around me, picking up my heart rate. My footsteps hit the pavement ominously, no matter how much I tried to quieten them. The temperature had dropped significantly, and I was shivering; I could see the white puffs of my breath whenever I passed a street lamp. I blew on my fingers again. Strange, how the backside of my fingers were frozen, but the inside of my clenched fists were clammy.

There was a cold feeling in my heart; dread.