13. A Pack of Pirates

Morning mist crept over the water as Captain Bronte Farrow stood beside her first mate, Mr. Samuel Davies. The new crew stood before them awaiting orders.

Bronte turned to Sam and said loud enough for only him to hear, "Ready, Officer?"

He flashed a brilliant smile and turned and addressed the crew. "Look sharp men and prime your lugholes." The men all turned tuned their eyes toward them.

"First off, we'll not be plunderin' any English," Bronte announced. The crew let out a mournful groan and she held a hand up to stymie the protest. "Stow your sniveling! I'm captain here! And lay to it I'll see we get us many a rich catch!" The crew shouted lustily in hearty agreement. "And by my blood I hope you all read the Articles you signed, for rest assured, we'll follow 'em to the letter. Take up grievances with your quartermaster, as soon as you elect one. For now, relay them to the first mate, Mr. Samuel Davies. Pay him what heed you pay me." She paused as she looked over the men. "Now, when I name your post, scupper to your duties!"

"Aye, aye Captain!" the pirates answered as one.

"Adams, take the helm. Clear the harbor and stand by for a heading."

As Blake complied she named the gunners and sent them to stow away the provisions along with Carter, who was assigned to the galley. One by one the remainder of the men branched off to their assorted posts on her orders. Cuthbert and two teenagers remained.

"Cuthbert, can you show these two cockerels the sails and rigging?"

"Aye, Cap'n," he grinned back, but then the sailor's attention was drawn to the deck as the kitten, who Bronte named Fortune, scurried toward him.

She grimaced.

"A black cat!" he exclaimed.

Bronte held her breath.

"Ya shoulda said you'd a black cat, sir; they bring excellent luck."

She let out the breath, relieved, as he continued. "Specially iffen they run up to ya like she just did me," Cuthbert said with delight. "If they turn back halfway, it's curtains for ya," he added seriously. "Ya didn't find it under a basket, did ya?" he asked suspiciously.

She was glad she could answer him honestly. "I did not. I suppose if I had it'd be 'bad luck'?"

"Worse," he said in a whisper and looked around like he didn't want anyone to overhear. "Yer ship would never make port." He gulped.

She hung her head and dismissed him, already regretting having him aboard. She hoped he could make up for it with sailing skills. She watched him take charge of the young men and direct them with the sails. So far, so good.

The rest of the day passed pretty uneventfully as she observed her crew. Blake Adams showed he'd been honest about his skill as he easily adjusted to each heading. Cuthbert proved to be knowledgeable in sailing and was a fine teacher. Sam kept tabs on everyone and made sure they were staying on task as Bronte oversaw from the quarterdeck. She was going to like being a captain. She scanned the empty water as she contemplated her duty: To find and successfully capture heavily laden prey.

If she couldn't do that, no one would sail under her. With such a light crew she'd have to rely on trickery and tactical sailing, rather than manpower. She thought hard of what method she'd use that would result in little blood spilt.

Sam joined her. He looked apprehensive.

"What ails ya, Sam?"

He cleared his throat as he stood next to her at the rail. "The crew ... voted me ... quartermaster," he said slowly.