Chapter 10

News got in this morning that Matteo had passed away, there was evidence of drugs overdose. Parrino has made arrangements for our return to America tomorrow morning. I can't ward off this guilty conscience.
"It's not our fault Amoure mio." Parrino said coming out from behind me.
"If Papa had just let him have me from the start..." I cried.
"You don't like being with me? Davina?"
"Do you even love me? You doing all of these for the money your father would give you!"
"Initially! Somewhere along the way I couldn't stop staring or thinking about you even when you weren't looking, even when i was being a douchebag, when I'm with Sophia, somehow like a virus you infected me! Nobody asked me to put your name on the spa or put it in your name. When my father asked us to move away to avoid Matteo he meant California, I changed my mind and bought this house, far from everyone to start afresh, to connect so I know this is real and not business. When I got in a fight with Smith or Matteo you think it was an act for money? I didn't want anyone competing with me for your attention not even when I was ignoring you. The day I came to your house, i wasn't disappointed that this is who I'm being married to. I was mad yes and i loved Sophia more and i let that overshadow whatever feelings were trying to peek for you. You didn't even notice I've been making more effort neither do you know that I've broken up with Sophia."
"You broke up with Sophia?"
"Yes tesoro mio."
"Then the late night calls? The lady giggles?"
"Barbara is a lesbian and I was working on a surprise for you with her. I overheard you and Yemisi on phone talking about raising money to open a vet hospital. So on Yemi's birthday next week if I'm not mistaken, I would have handed her a form to her vet hospital with a pet store in the same building. I'm not only aiming to make you happy but your family and friends. I stopped the income your parents receive from my Papa. I send them money now. My responsibility. I love you Davina and I'm glad I got you instead, I'm sorry Matteo's dead that was his choice."
"I love you too Parrino. Thank you so much."