Chapter 26 ~ Lonely

Nate yawns as he sits up. He is suddenly pulled back down by a pair of arms. He giggled.

"Mat, we need to get up, we're gonna be late." Nate said, giggling. Mat groaned. His grip tightened before letting go. He pushed Nate up and off of him before getting up himself. 

"Fine." He whined. They got dressed quickly. They had just finished when they heard the door slam open and a female voice call out throughout the house. Nate rolled his eyes.

"Morning lovebirds! Come on, we're gonna be late!" They heard Stephanie yell. Mat and Nate laughed, walking down the steps. Well, Mat was walking, carrying Nate again. "Alright. Let Nate down and get your shit, we gotta go." Steph said when the boys made it downstairs." The three laughed and Mat placed Nate on the floor.

They grabbed their stuff and headed off. On the way, Steph talked about how excited she was for Ethan's movie party.

"It's nice to have more friends, no offence Nate." She said. Nate laughed.

"It is nice to have more people in our circle." Nate said, staring up at Mat.

"I'm very glad you guys joined us too." Mat said, swinging an arm around Nate's neck and pulling him close. They walked into the school right after the bell rang. Steph ran off to find her class and Mat and Nate started walking. "I love you." Mat said to Nate.

Nate stopped walking. He turned to Mat and smiled. 

"I love you too." He said before kissing Mat. The two boys sat their kissing until they needed breath, only then realizing that they are standing in the middle of the hallway and they should be in class. They both let out a little chuckle. "Let's go." Nate said, taking Mat's hand.

They eventually made it to class, 20 minutes late. Ms. Blackery just waved them into their seats. They were lucky to have her first period than literally any other teacher, seeing as they disliked Nate.

When first block ended they made their way to second, meeting a disappointed-looking Steph there.

"You okay Steph?" Nate asked her as they sat down.

"Yeah, I guess. Jason is apparently sick so he is absent today." Steph answered with a sigh.

"Hey, you still have me." Nate said.

"And everyone else." Steph added. She sighed. "But I miss him. It's stupid." Steph said, looking at her hands.

"No it's not." Nate reassured her. "Everyone misses their mate when they're not with them."

"Thanks Nate." Steph smiled at him.

"Gross." They heard a mutter from behind him. Steph, Nate and Mat all looked behind them to see Brandon smirking at them. Steph just scoffed and turned around. Nate grabbed Mat's hand and they saw Brandon's eyes narrow. They turned back around and pretended to listen to the lesson. When the bell rang they made their way to study hall, ignoring Brandon when he passed them in the hallway.

They sat at their usual table, except Nate sat next to Steph and Mat on the other side, since Steph was feeling lonely. Nate hasn't sat next to her in study hall since she started dating Jason. They talked and laughed together but Steph's smile didn't reach her eyes.

When the lunch bell finally rang, the three got up and went to their lunch table, everyone saying hi. Steph sighed and just leaned on her hand.

"What's wrong Steph?" Louise asked.

"Jason is sick today." She said. Everyone let out long 'oh's. They all started eating, except Steph who was staring at the table and tracing patterns on it with her finger. Nate's eyes swept over the rest of the cafeteria.

"What's Brandon doing talking to the bullies over there?" Nate asked. It seemed strange because the new kid was interested in Nate and the bullies hated Nate. 

"Maybe he's finally off your back." Dan said. Nate would like to believe that but he could see their eyes on him from time to time. He noticed Steph on her phone, smiling. 

"You good Steph?" Nate asked, glad she seemed happier.

"Yeah. Jason's feeling a little better so I'm going to see him after school." She said, still smiling at her phone. 

"Good. I'm glad." The bell rang and Steph put down her phone, sighing again. 

"Just hang in there." Nate said. He hugged her and they went their separate ways.

The day went by fast, nothing really happened. Last block came around and they sat in their seats. Brandon was already there, sitting in the seat in front of Nate's seat. Nate sighed and felt Mat grip his hand tighter as they walked to their seats.

They sat down and for half of the class it seemed like nothing was gonna happen. Halfway through the class the teacher stopped talking and called for free time.

"I swear, she is the laziest teacher here." Nate whispered to Mat. Mat giggled. "That was adorable." Nate said. Mat blushed.

"Shut up." Mat muttered. Nate laughed and started leaning in for a kiss. He stopped when he heard a loud cough come from in front of them. He sighed and looked at Brandon. He put his head on Mat's shoulder.

"So, Nate, I'm going to a party on Saturday. You wanna come with me?" Brandon said, smirking. Mat growled.

"No. And I'm busy." Nate said, hiding his face in Mat's neck. He whined.

"It'll be fun." Brandon said, ignoring the murderous face Mat was sporting.

"He said NO." Mat growled. He stood up and grabbed Brandon. The teacher looked at them and then back at her phone. "Back the fuck off." He pushed Brandon back on the floor. Brandon stood up.

"Dude. I'm just asking him to a party, over protective much?" He laughed.

"And I'm just asking you to back off." Mat said in a low voice. He punched Brandon. "So stay away." He said. Finally school was ended. "STOP BOTHERING US." Nate pulled Mat out of the classroom. They were walking out of the school and saw Steph in a frenzy.

"Hey Steph." Nate said.

"Can't talk, gotta see Jason." She said, before rushing off in the other direction.

"Okay. Bye then." Nate said. Mat took Nate's hand and they went back to Nate's house. They sat on the couch, snuggling and flipping through the channels.

"So your dad comes back on Sunday?" Nate asked.

"Yeah. His plane flies in at 3." Mat replied with a sigh.

"So you'll have to go home?" Nate asked. Mat pulled him tighter to his chest.

"Yeah. I will." Mat said. Nate was silent for a minute. 

"Will I be like Steph was today?" Nate said, in a low almost-whisper. 

"I don't know." Mat whispered into Nate's hair. They sat in silence. Neither one of them knew what to say now.

Social Medias

YouTube: DefinitelyNotNatural

Twitter: DefNotNatural

instagram: definitelynotnatural