one

'rowan'

as i listened to my science teacher lecture us on how experimenting with dangerous chemicals was to be taken very very seriously, the secretary walked in with an unfamiliar boy.

"sorry to interrupt, mr. cooper, but peter here was a little lost." the boy looked down at his feet with red cheeks. "oh that's okay! class, this is - what was it?" "peter" he said quietly.

"peter! this is peter! i want you all to make him feel very welcome, okay?" we mumbled something along the lines of  "okay" peter looked around the classroom when his eyes landed on me. i assumed that he would just glance at me and continue his gazing around the classroom, but i could still feel his stare lingering.

i looked back at him and he looked at the teacher quickly. "peter, we're actually doing an experiment right now, but we have an odd number of students so you can go with whoever doesn't have a partner. speaking of, class go find your partners!" i walked over to my friends, betty and liz. "partners?" i said as i stood next to liz. "mr. cooper said there were only supposed to be groups of two. sorry."

"you could go with the new kid though! he looks pretty cute." liz jumped in, nudging my side. i rolled my eyes playfully and replied with, "i guess so," liz was always trying to set me up with someone.

"ah, rowan! looks like you get to be partnered with peter." mr. cooper said to us. i saw a small smile creep onto peter's face. maybe this wouldn't be so bad, he seems nice.

peter sat next to me at our table and turned towards me. "rowan, right?" "that would be correct."
"what are we doing?"
"figuring out wind turbine efficiency."
"that sounds boring,"
he replied setting his head in his palms.

"could we just talk the whole time and tell him we were working?" he asked shortly after. "i mean i guess."
i shrugged.
"so, who do you hang out with?"
"well i have my friends, betty and liz over there, but i don't really fit in with them."

"how so?" peter asked, curiosity laced in his voice.
"i don't know, they're the perfect and popular girls. i'm just me, i guess."
i said, embarrassed."you don't seem like a 'just me' kind of girl."
"what do you mean?"
"you seem interesting and cool." he said, leaning forward.

"i'm not so sure about that."
i blushed. "well i am."
the bell rang before we could say anything else and peter handed me a slip of paper.

"here's my number if you want to come over and figure out what the hell wind turbine efficiency is." he chuckled. "thanks." i slipped the note in my back pocket.

a/n
sooo, welcome to the 2nd book, i hope y'all enjoy the next 4
chapters 💌