Chapter 5

Thomas-
'I had done it. I had finally done it! We were free at last! We no longer had to suffer anymore!' were the initial thoughts that flooded through my mind as I fled for our lives. My sister was safe, I was safe. We no longer had to live with that witch! Yet, there was one thing that I hadn't thought through. Where was I even going? I hadn't planned any of it, not at all. But at least we were free, after all. Heading north, I kept running and running. Under no circumstances would I stop, until I was sure that we were far away. My lungs were in excruciating pain, likely due to he excessive breathing. But that wouldn't stop me. Nothing ever would. There was no turning back.

Eventually, we reached a foreign city, a place neither of us had ever seen. It would do for the night, but both of us knew we couldn't stay - it was way too risky. Collapsing into a corner with weakness, I looked down at the murky ground. It was grimey and coated in disgusting layers of waste, yet it was better than at home. Ever since father was gone, the house hadn't been cleaned once. The dirt had gradually built up, on both the furniture and ourselves.

Reaching my arms up weakly towards Allison, I smiled faintly, hoping she'd rest by me. Obediently, she lay on top of me, and curled into a small, minute ball of nothingness. Quickly falling into a deep slumber, I listened to her soft and gentle snoring. Yawning with exhaustion, I curled up around her protectively, acting as her blanket. As long as she was warm and safe nothing else mattered to me: nothing at all. Glancing up at the twinkling stars, I sighed with relief, and allowed my eyelids to droop. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

Still curled up around my little sister, I opened one eye and observed my surroundings carefully, trying to recollect the memories from the night before. The sun was gleaming angrily at us, like it's life depended on it. Deep in a trail of my own thoughts, I jumped with suprise when a figure approached us. "Get off the god damn streets ya filthy beggars! Go home damn you! Your mother ought to be ashamed!" Snapped a cruel, intoxicating voice, coming from the old woman's body. Sitting up and rubbing my eyes with the cleanest part of my hand, I yawned, I shook Alice gently. As she shook herself awake, she gazed up at the stranger. Looking alarmed, she nuzzled into my chest, giving me no choice but to pick her up. I was still exhausted from the events, but my baby sister would always go first. Snarling at us more, the old woman wouldn't leave us alone. "Shame on you! Devil's children!"

"Excuse me miss, that isn't very nice, you shouldn't say that to people. We didn't do anything wrong but sleep which is a human need." I spoke coldly, extremely irritated at her. This time, the woman said nothing, but instead swatted at us with her pointed umbrella.

"Be gone, before I call the police!" She bellowed as I took two steps back. Nodding at her and gulping in fear, I fled from the area, not wanting her to get us captured. If we were caught, they'd bring us back home, and things would only be worse. Once we were out of the area, I placed Alice back onto her feet and sighed with relief. Leaning against a damp brick wall, I glanced at the parallel street.

"Got any plans, Al?" I whispered, already knowing her answer. It was obvious, none of us knew what was next. Shaking her head at me, she fiddled with her thumbs gently.

"No but we can think of one! I think-" she responded, picking at a loose stone on the wall with her small fingers. Sighing with nerves, I tilted my head to the ground. We only had one option.

"Then we'll have to stay here, until we think of something." I muttered, already hating the idea of being stuck in this disapproving town. I didn't want to remain there, but I had no choice - it was either this or nothing. Looking up at the sky, I took a gasp of fresh air. Somehow, it hurt to swallow the oxygen. Maybe it was the tension, or maybe the anxiety. All I knew, is that we had a long road ahead of us both. This was our life now. Sliding down the wall to the ground, I sniffled. If only our lives could have been normal.