Prologue

Alice

"How are things doing in America, Austin?" Dad asked.

"Great, nothing's out of the ordinary. How have you and the ladies been doing?" he replied.

"Just as well. Have you found someone special to bring back home?" Austin choked on his water causing me to laugh.

"Shut it." he glared at us.

"Speaking of." Mom cleared her throat.

"Alison, I think it's time you get married," she said.

"But, Mom I don't need a man, Em is enough for me," I protested.

"Is she really? And even if she is, are you enough for her?"

"Emerald is growing up without a father, she'll start feeling his absence in her life as soon as she sees other children with both mother and father. You cannot take away such a precious part of her life like that. Even if it isn't her real father, a father figure is enough to make a difference" My dad said.

"No. I won't have My grandbaby grow up with a father or my baby unwed and Alone."

"But, Mo-" I was cut off.

"No Buts, it's been decided you are to go and work for your brother's best friend, Alexandro Russo's PA in the States. So you can meet new people and hopefully fall in love." She said leaving no room to protest.

"Fine" I sighed. "But why him? Why not Henry?" I asked.

"Because he would treat you differently and everybody would know that you're not who you are or in this case aren't. Alexandro hasn't seen you since you were around 10, it'd be hard for him to realise who you are, and we trust him to not hurt you."Mom explained.

"Yes, but Alexandro behaves unreasonably while at work." Austin scratched the back of his neck.

"Well, it'll be different with Alison, She's so beautiful, cute and kind that he'll have to be different with her." Mom said.

"Wait, what does his behaviour have to do with my beauty?" I asked.

Dad cleared his Throat, "So Pumpkin, do you wish to stay with your bother?" I gave him and Austin a dirty look.

"No. Not after the two of you didn't do anything to save me from this fate." I said angrily.

"Pumpkin, you know how your mother can be, I didn't have any choice there's nothing we can do." Dad tried to reason.

I 'hmph'ed and look away. 

"So where will you stay?" Mia asked. 

"I was thinking an apartment in a building close to my good-for-nothing brother." 

"Alison."

"So do you want to leave with us next week?" I Asked Mia, ignoring Austin.

"Sure I'd love to." 

"But we're supposed to go back tomorrow together." He said, Mia sent him an apologetic smile and pouted muttering "Not fair."

A week later

"The interview isn't for another week. What will you till then?" Mia asked as we sat on my new sofa in my new home, with Emerald in my arms.

"I don't know, maybe drop by the office," I said.

"Maybe not, You should spend time with Emerald you won't have the time you used to have, while working she could stay at my mom's house. And when can rebuild your work closet, you won't wear your signature look, People might recognise you." She said playing with Emerald.

"You're right, I'll just do that."

"I wish I knew why Mom chose him for me to work for. I don't believe what she said was the whole reason." I said, smiling at Emerald when she smiled at me.

"I think I have a pretty good idea."

*************************************************************************************************************************************

So how was it?

Tell what you think was Alice's mom reason for doing this?

Love

-Ellie