Are You Ok?

"Katie! Where were you!? We were all worried!" 

Clark gasped the moment his best friend stepped through the door. Everyone else looked up at Clark's exclamation, relief settling over all of their faces.

"We were getting really concerned, we thought you'd gotten bit." 

Kurt agreed. Katie smiled at him weakly in response, walking further into their safe house.

"Sorry I worried all of you? I'm f-fine though, really. I can take care of myself." 

She assured them, trying hard to mask her limp. Shadow noticed easily though, always perceptive of others.

"Katie? Are you sure you're okay, you're walking strangely..." 

She asked, putting a hand on Katie's shoulder as she got close. Katie turned her head to look at her, her eyes dazed.

"Huh...? Oh, yeah, I'm okay. Just tired. I walked a long way." 

She brushed Shadow off, limping past her friends to where they kept their sleeping bags, wanting nothing more than to rest right now. Clark frowned at her odd behavior.

"I'm gonna go talk to her and make sure she's okay..." 

He said out loud to no one in particular. He got up and quickly followed Katie into their sleeping area, seeing her already face down in a pillow, looking like she had collapsed onto her sleeping bag. Clark knelt down next to her, shaking Katie's shoulder.

"Katie, buddy, are you sure everything is okay? You're acting weird, and everyone can see it... Katie?" 

Clark shook her shoulder again when he got no response. 

"Katie!" 

He shoved Katie's shoulder more roughly, causing the girl to finally turn her head slowly, looking up at Clark with glassy, half-lidded eyes.

"Whuh...?"

"Seriously, what's wrong with you?"

Clark demanded, putting a hand on Katie's forehead. 

"Did you get bit or something? You look awful." 

He asked, mostly joking. Katie shook her head quickly.

"No, no I... I'm sorry, I'm really just tired. I went out to see if I could find a store or something with food, and I went out pretty far and didn't find anything, and it was just..." 

She had to pause, almost wincing like it hurt to talk for too long, taking short breaths. Clark's concern worsened. 

"I'm just frustrated, it was a waste of a trip and it was a long way so... Yeah..." 

She finished explaining, winded after her little rant. Clark nodded in understanding, still worried.

"Alright, if you're sure you're okay..."

"I am," 

Katie assured quickly, burying her face in the pillow again, her voice muffled. 

"I just... I need to sleep."

Clark sighed, looking at his watch.

"It's only 4 pm... but whatever, I'll nap with you, okay? You're still looking kind of sick, so I'll keep you company if you want?" 

He offered, already kicking off his shoes and taking off his hoodie, getting into the sleeping bag set up next to his friend. He heard Katie hum in approval as he got comfortable, laying on his back and staring at the ceiling.

"Just don't get sick on us, okay Katie? Surviving the zombie apocalypse is hard enough without one of us being ill." 

Clark tried to joke, getting no reaction from the girl laying next to him. Sighing, Clark rolled onto his side, tucking his hands under his chin. He shut his eyes and attempted to sleep, even though he really wasn't tired.