Stray Bead 100

It was as quick as lightning. Two flashes of white, a flaring string of beads. Amaterasu caught her balance, skidding backward on the ice. A brief moment of shock before she looked up at him, eyes alight with betrayal.

The ship loomed above them. Its massive hull glowed with carvings of a world far away from their own, its broken masts eclipsing the blood-red sun. It shattered the ice as it was heaved out of the lake, leaving the ground they stood on cracked, the water churning black.

Shiranui stood and looked back at her, solemn. 

"No, Amaterasu! " Oki lunged toward them. Samickle was quicker- he braced his arms around his shoulders. "They can't do this, not now !" 

Samickle shook his head, struggling to hold him back. "They are gods, Oki! We can do nothing. You will be slaughtered in their midst!"

"If she cannot be convinced, then let us defeat her! Kutone-"

The word seemed to electrify him. "-You..."  Samickle paused. "...Then you are no different than her."

....

Oki paused too.

"I'm sorry, chief."

He butted an elbow, hard, at his stomach. Samickle managed to dodge the blow, but the sweep to his knees sent him reeling backward into the snow. Oki transformed, two legs landing on four as he dashed onto the frozen lake, skidding to a halt behind Shiranui. 

"Amaterasu!"

They both ignored him. It was as though they were in a deep trance. As though they were upholding a delicate veil of contemplation, ready to be shattered at any second. As though they were gazing into a deep, dark mirror.

There was a time when Okami Amaterasu's red markings were beautiful; things only seen by the true of heart, the few with faith left in the gods. Shiranui...had looked forward to the day they would grow. He wanted to see her overcome what he could not. Now, they were streaks of blood that stained her fur, angry brushstrokes cultivated through power.  In a way, it was true. Amaterasu had become powerful. Glaives, battles, blood, teeth... 

...And Shiranui had been too weak, at some point in time. He had to die, be resurrected, retrained as a new being. 

Why do you look so regretful? Will you not let me board the ark? 

He needed to live. For just a while longer, he needed to live. To aid a friend in a battle a hundred years into the future. To aid a friend in a battle a hundred years into the past...

...His resolve strengthened. In the past, present, and future, others- Amaterasu, would be the death of him-

-his duty.

No. You must join us.

You cannot trick me. Look upon me, for I am your future self. I can defeat Yami, for the good of us all.

Only godhood can defeat an evil so absolute. In your thirst for power, you have gained steel and blood. You have lost the faith of those who believed in you. You have forsaken the Brush Gods. You cannot defeat him alone.

I saved you from death many times because of my strength. She paused, contemplating. 

I might kill you with it as well.

"...Amaterasu." Oki's voice trembled, but it rang clear. "I am on his side. Know that if you choose to leave on that ark alone-" his eyes flared- "-then I assure you, today will be the day Kutone blazes silver. You will make a worthy opponent!"

Shiranui stepped forward next to him. Oki held his breath. Blinding white, a flowing mane, hints of kindly eyes.

Go, Oki. Do not risk your life for false heroism.

Oki shook his head vehemently. "No, Shiranui. When I saw Amaterasu fight the gold and silver demons..." He paused, still breathless. "...Her abilities, her raw power...she saved both our lives without a thought, slaughtered those things before we could blink twice. Stole our glory. Now is our moment."

He looked away. So be it.

I want to rid this land of its desolation as much as either of you do. Amaterasu raised her head, defiant. Why are you doing this?

We want to help you. We must. If we work together to defeat Yami, then we will surely succeed. Alone, you cannot win. Your godhood is incomplete, but your strength along with ours shall prevail. Trust us.

"Or else," Oki snarled.

Amaterasu almost smiled then. It was a sad, knowing gleam in her eyes. I must admit, Shiranui, Oki. After all this time, I am still afraid. She glanced down at the necklace. Ninety-nine gleaming red beads. The product of months of wanton searching and desperate coercion, on the whims of rumors and legends. She clung to it like nothing else.

I was unable to protect Nippon. For years I lay in slumber while people were mercilessly slaughtered by demons, while the land was ravaged by darkness. When I was awoken, I was able to restore life once more. Yet I was so, so weak... 

Pain flashed across her face. I cannot stop the greed and corruption of man's heart. They have forgotten the gods.The precipice of death...too many times. Queen Himiko, Otohime, Susano, so many innocents, Issun- I cannot lose any more of you-

"....We don't have time for this. The sun will be gone by the time she's done talking!" Oki took a battle stance, roaring as his eyes flared crimson and his mane glowed icy blue.

"For Nippon!"

Shiranui was quicker. He was in front of him before he knew it, growling a distinct warning. There was a moment of standstill. Oki unseathed Kutone, thrusting it forward. Shiranui could only slip out of the way as he charged at Amaterasu, a beast of blinding energy-

- There was a sickening thud. Oki was shoved aside, the horrible gush of something warm across his face.

It was Samickle. He fell to the ground in a bloody heap.

".....Chief-" Kutone clattered onto the ice, discarded. Oki scrambled to his feet and rushed up to him. He pawed at the wolf's shoulders in disbelief, muzzle pressing against his chest. 

Shiranui took a step forward. Amaterasu took a step back. He advanced, face unreadable, stride cold and steady. She snarled, backing further and further until she had hunched into the vast shadow of the Celestial ship.

An unexpected swing of a saber along with a violent flurry of ink, and Amaterasu was completely stunned. Knocked onto the ice with brutal force, she could only stay down as her senses whirled about her head, the man's blood staining her own fur-

"The boy is right, mon chérie. There is little time for such pleasantries." A familiar face appeared next to Shiranui in a shimmer of white dust.

"Now, if you would kindly take care of your younger self."