Chapter 15

"One of the women was found dead about thirty minutes ago," said the head guard to the Queen.

Celessa's eyes grew wide. In all the years the City of Remnants had existed they had never had a woman at the brothel killed. "Was it...?"

"The man was not found. We believe it to be murder. She was found below the balcony of her designated room."

Celessa's palms grew clammy. "Do we know what happened?"

"Apparently the crew assigned to destroy the ship set off the explosives early. We think that might have spooked the man."

"Any clues on where the ship was from?"

"No, your highness. We scoured the wreckage but found nothing to distinguish its origins."

Celessa's hands slammed down on the arms of her throne, anger and worry building equally in her chest. "Call for Kotai. Also, gather the city together. We need to be prepared in case that man makes it to safety somewhere and tells of us. Our secret and entire way of life is at stake right now."

The head guard bowed and rushed off to do what he was told.

The queen felt panicked but also determined to protect her island. She was not about to let years of work be undone and destruction befall this place. Jaessa would become queen and Celessa would not let anything stand in the way of that.

* * *

Kotai was apprehensive when the messenger arrived at the cave. He felt a bit inconvenienced to have to maneuver all seven draglets with him to the palace but it wasn't often the queen called for him to come into the city.

Actually, this had never happened.

Queen Celessa gladly let Kotai stay in his cave, possibly attempting to keep him from meddling too much in the affairs of the city, but that mattered not to Kotai. His main concern had been for his children and whatever happened to the city below his mountain did not concern him that much.

It was true he felt a slight obligation to help in times of trouble if there were any, but he did not approve of the inequality that reigned supreme there. He knew the people who had begun this outpost would not be happy to see the way things had turned.

Attaching each draglet to their leashes, he began his journey, lumbering down the mountain with his seven sons in tow.

* * *

"Your Highness, Kotai arrived." The head guard bowed after making his announcement, stepping back to allow the doors to open, making way for the large dragon to enter.

Kotai made no attempt to hide his intimidating demeanor, and made sure to meet the eyes of everyone he came across. He had warned his sons to be quiet and behave before entering the throne room and they had amazingly obeyed, trailing behind him in a single-file line, quiet and subdued.

As he reached the throne, Kotai was surprised to see the queen looking rather tired and not her usual calm self. "Your Highness, I have come as you have asked. Might I know what it is you need of me?"

Kotai did not relax his stand, feeling a bit at a disadvantage with his sons behind him. He did not exactly trust these people, but they were both necessary evils to one another. He could feel all eyes in the room on him and the draglets, and it was a bit overwhelming to the little ones who were now bunched up around his legs.

Celessa smile wearily at the draglets, admiring them from her throne. "Have Azir get the Princess. I think she would not mind playing with the little ones while we adults talk a while," she said to her hand maid next to her.