Anniversary

"Hey, thanks for the lovely card and flowers."

"No problem, Zo. Did you do anything nice for your anniversary?" Dianne asked, propping her phone up on the kitchen counter as she prepared Emelia's packed lunch for school.

"Nah, not tonight. Alfie's in the bath and I'm doing a jigsaw like an old woman. I think we'll do something at the weekend, maybe. We're not really ones for celebrating. We're not romantic like you two."

Dianne laughed at Zoe's words. "You know, when we were first getting together, Joe gave me the impression that he wasn't romantic at all. Look at him now."

Zoe rolled her eyes. "Maybe he was just being shy. Now he's, well... besotted is the word that springs to mind."

"I'm not gonna lie, Zo, I don't know what that word means. But I'm guessing it's good?"

Zoe laughed. "Yeah, it's good. Anyway, how are you?"

"Can't complain. Joe's... uh, actually I don't know where Joe is. Working, I think. Emelia's out practicing her corner kicks with the dog and, somehow, I've ended up stuck in the kitchen doing her chores. This is the reality of motherhood, Zo. Prepare yourself."

Zoe smiled. Dianne watched as she looked down at her swollen bump. "I think we're a long way off doing chores. Anyway, this little sprog is now apparently the size of a small pineapple according to my app." Zoe was almost seven months pregnant. Her baby boy was due at the end of November- just in time for Christmas. It was bound to make her favourite time of year so much more special.

"How are you doing with it all?"

"Alright. The third trimester feels better, actually. A lot of my friends said the same as you."

"What, that you start to feel human again?" Dianne laughed. "It's true, right? I got my appetite back, and some of my energy. It's like your body starts to get excited about the whole thing."

"Definitely. Although I'd have more energy if I wasn't carrying a future premiership footballer. I swear he's trying to kick his way out."

Dianne hissed. "Ouch." She looked up as the back door opened, before smiling at Zoe. "Speaking of, my own premiership footballer is back from yet another garden training sesh. Come and say hi to Auntie Zoe, Peanut."

Emelia's head popped up on Zoe's screen. "Hi Zoe!"

Dianne rolled her eyes. Too much time running around in the garden had left Emelia overtired and silly.

"Hey sweetheart" Zoe waved. "Have you seriously been in the garden this whole time?"

Emelia nodded quickly, sweaty and slightly out of breath. "Yep. I did corner kicks from both sides and then I've been taking shots on goal."

Dianne couldn't help but smile at the fact that her daughter's football obsession included using the technical language she heard on TV. It reminded her of the way she used to talk about dance when she was her age, learning the words from watching her brother compete.

"And now you're muddy and you stink" Dianne said to her daughter. "Can you say happy anniversary to Zoe and Alfie, and then go and take a shower?"

Emelia picked up Dianne's phone and smiled as she noticed a streak of mud across her forehead. "Happy anniversary, Zoe and Alfie! I have to shower now. Bye!"

Zoe was laughing as Dianne took the phone back. "Sorry about her. She's overexcited. I should probably get this lunch finished and then go and calm her down and try and get her to sleep."