✖ | prologue

IT WAS THE best summer of scotty smalls' life. no need for question or debate.

the summer in which he met timmy and tommy Timmons; kenny denunez; mike pallelorous, who'd managed to coin the nickname 'squints' due to his atrocious vision; hamilton porter, aka ham...hands down, the largest boy on the team, and the most visually intimidating; alan mcclannen...commonly referred to as 'yeah-yeah', largely in part to his tendency to add the phrase, 'yeah-yeah!' to the end or beginning of nearly every sentence.

but there was one boy who stood out against all of those guys.

benjamin granklin rodriguez.

that would be scotty smalls' best - and for a short time - only friend. if it weren't for benny, scotty would still be that geeky kid who copped himself up in his air conditioned home and wasted the summer away building useless trinkets.

school started august 6th that year.

benny and bertram, the eldest, were in eighth grade, kenny and ham in seventh, yeah-yeah, squints, timmy, and smalls were going to into sixth grade, and tommy, the youngest, was going into fifth grade.

fortunately, smalls wasn't completely alone - he had two classes with the older timmons sibling, and one with both yeah-yeah and squints.

somehow, whether it be luck or mischievous tactics, the two best friends had the exact same schedule. and knowing the shit squints was capable, it very well could have been the latter.

on the very first friday, the first weekend of the school year, everything changed.

despite what he may have believed, scotty smalls really didn't know the first thing about any of his "best fiends."

that weekend, he learned everything.

a/n: hey !! i️f you happen to be getting notifications for this book, i'm currently doing some MUCH NEEDED rewriting !!

i️ was not a fan of the way this book was written at all, and feel i️ have really matured as a writer, so hopefully i️ can do this fandom some justice again