chapter 1

Coming into China was a shuttlecock carrying two girls, Cherry and Peach inside. They looked all around them as they were going to China to become exchange students. 

"Tell me again why we're becoming exchange students in China." Peach spoke up, sounding bored.

"Because Peach, I like Chinese food and this could be a learning experience for us both." Cherry smiled.

"Boring!" Peach yawned at the very idea of learning while away from home and school for a few weeks.

The shuttlecock stopped and the girls hopped out, grabbing their bags. Peach grabbed hers without harm, but Cherry's bags landed on top of her, flattening her on the ground. They looked around once Cherry got to her feet and saw a woman standing outside her home and stepped forward.

"Are you, Fa Li?" Cherry asked, looking at the paper.

"Indeed I am," the woman replied calmly. "Are you the students staying with us for a while?"

"Yes, I'm Peach and this is Cherry." the light brown-haired girl replied, smiling and eager to await an adventure.

"Nice to meet you," Li said. She looked restless and stressed.

"Are you okay, ma'am?" Cherry asked.

"Yeah, you look like Cherry when we do trigonometry in algebra back home." Peach teased.

Cherry glared at her, then calmly looked back at the woman.

"I'm fine, I'm just waiting for my daughter." Li told them.

"Aww, Cherry, she has a daughter for you to play with, talking about dreamy boys and to give makeovers with!" Peach nudged her friend's shoulder.

"I'm a tomboy just like you, Peach!" Cherry seethed.

"Yes, but between the two of us, you're better off as a girly girl." Peach laughed.

Cherry groaned, squeezing her eyes shut. She loved Peach, but sometimes the girl was nearly impossible to be around. They were indeed like typical siblings. 

"Li, is your daughter here yet?" the bath house lady asked, stepping outside the doors. "The matchmaker is not a patient woman." she then went back inside her shop.

"Matchmaker?" the girls asked Li.

"Yes," Li replied, answering them. "It's an important tradition. Girls come to the matchmaker after getting dolled up and learn how to properly be with their soul mates when they wed the proper gentleman. Someday, maybe you girls will do the exact same thing when you're Mulan's age."

Both girls eyed each other, cringing at the very thought of arranged marriage, dressing up just to meet a guy and basically become slaves other than a bride. Suddenly, there came an elder lady with a tiny cage in her hands.

"You must be Li's daughter's grandmother." Cherry observed.

"Why? Cuz I got wrinkles and white hair you think I'm a grandmother?" the woman scolded her.

"I-I-I..." Cherry felt sheepish for her assumption.

The woman laughed and patted her head. "I'm only kiddin'! Yes, I'm Mulan's grandmother. Are you those girls coming to stay with us a little while?"

"Yes, ma'am." Cherry smiled.

"You remind me of my Nan." Peach giggled at the woman's enthusiasm at her age.

Li sighed sharply, looking around. There was still no sign of her daughter. "Of all the days to be late! I should've prayed to the ancestors for luck."