Surgery

"I'm embarrassed."

Castiel's eyes snapped to his as Dean shoved another bite of his burger into his mouth and said, "Vis ef fo gud."

"I take it you like it?"

Liked it? He wanted to make love to that damn slab of meat. Castiel had hand-made and grilled burgers for them, their second—technically, third—date starting off with a dinner that put his cooking to shame. Rather than put words to those thoughts, Dean simply moaned into his food again.

"Sounds like it," Castiel said with a laugh. "Anything in particular you wanted to do this evening? Only idea I had was to watch a movie."

Dean nodded, thinking of several in the moment. He swallowed his food and said, "I have a few in mind."

"Perfect," Castiel replied with a small smile, one that Dean has seen before. He wondered how often Castiel smiled like that at other people.

"You're staring," he said. "Is there something on my face?"

Dean shook his head as he averted his eyes, returned to his plate. "Uh, no. Just... spacing out. Long day."

"That might have been my fault," Castiel replied with a grimace. "Sent you a few new patients today."

"Keeps me employed," Dean said after another bite of his burger. "I'm not complaining."

"Good, because I'll have more for you next week, too," he said. "My surgery schedule for the next month is quite full."

"Oh great," Dean drawled with a roll of his eyes. "Okay, no more work talk. Plans this weekend?"

Dean swore Castiel hesitated, a brief consideration of his words. But then he spoke, confident and steady once more. "I'm in the middle of remodeling the master bath upstairs. Probably work on that most of the weekend."

"Oh? Need a hand? You know I'm good with mine," Dean jested, but when Castiel's brow shot to his hairline, Dean balked. "I mean, with construction. You know. My backyard. I'm..."

"Sure," Castiel interrupted with a coy smile. "I could use the help. I'll show you around the house after dinner. Then we can hit up that movie."

"Sounds good," Dean agreed.

Dinner continued, talk of plans for the spring and summer extending the meal well after their plates were clean. They concluded with a pecan pie that Castiel had made, much to Dean's delight. He ate half of it before he stopped himself and apologized for being a glutton. Castiel shrugged with his small smile again, then motioned he follow him into the kitchen.

"Ready for the grand tour?" Castiel asked as he put their plates in the sink.

"Now I'm really embarrassed," Dean replied, "Your cooking is far superior and you're a better host. I didn't even think to show you around my place."

The warmth of Castiel's hand enveloped his, and Dean fell silent. A long moment passed before Castiel spoke. "It's fine, Dean. I didn't take any offense. Let's go. I'll show you the disaster that is this bathroom."

"Lead the way," Dean said, and Castiel set out.

The living room gave way to the first level bedroom hallway. A closed door was passed by, Castiel declaring it a complete mess, filled with his junk, and that one day he should sort through it all. Dean found that strange. Most people put their useless junk in a garage or attic or basement. But spare bedroom?

"Silly," Castiel finished. "I... don't want you to get the wrong idea. I'm an organized person. Most of the time. Some parts of my life are a little messy yet."