Chapter 8

They stood on the sand, the wind whipping at their hair as they watched the Tardis dematerialize. They looked at each other and then back to the spot where the Tardis had once been. The only proof now that the Tardis had been there was a square indentation in the sand.

She looked up at him and he looked down at her, his chocolate brown eyes slightly wary, as though he was waiting for her anger or rejection. She felt her anger dissipate. He was not the one she should be angry with. He didn't deserve that. He was the Doctor in every way, but human, and he had told her the words that the other could not. He hadn't asked to be created or dumped in this world without the Tardis. No, he had been abandoned just as much as she had.

She squeezed his hand and smiled up at him, though it was a sad smile. "How long are you gonna stay with me?" she asked.

"Forever," he replied without hesitation.

Her smile broadened and she watched the apprehension leave him. They would be fine, she was sure of it. They would make this work.

She leaned up, her hands on his shoulders to steady herself and laid a small kiss on his lips. She expected him to freeze, but he kissed her back, pouring his relief and love into that kiss. She felt her own tension leave her and the kiss turned tender as they slowly explored each other. Passion could come later. Right now she was feeling that love igniting between them and her acceptance of this human version of him.

"Oi! I want to get out of the cold and go find a cozy motel somewhere. You two can resume your snogging then," her mother called from the distance, her cellphone in her hand. "Your Dad is organising a private Zeppelin and driver for the mornin'."

Rose stepped back from the Doctor, blushing furiously. She glanced up at him and he reached for her hand, the wind ruffling his still gorgeous hair. He smiled down tenderly at her, making her heart skip a beat.

"Ah, good ol' Jackie. Impeccable timing as always," he said, a jovial lilt in his voice.

She chuckled and they started walking towards her mom, who had walked up the embankment and was now waiting for them on the side of a very little used road. A fine misty spray was blowing from the beach and by the time they had made it to the small coastal town, all three of them were damp and shivering from the cold. But as uncomfortable as she was, she didn't let go of his hand and it was with satisfaction that she noticed he didn't try to pull away either.

Jackie was unusually quiet as they trudged to the entrance of the motel, every now and then muttering about bloody Norway. They booked two rooms, Jackie pointedly taking her key card and throwing a comment over her shoulder as she went to find her room. "You two get some rest. I've gotta call your dad. There's going to be holy war when we get back to London." But she glanced back and winked, showing that she wasn't in the least concerned about what Pete would have to say about her up and leaving to follow Rose.

Rose grinned and silently took the key card, leading the Doctor to their room. The room wasn't bad as far as motel rooms went, though she noted drily that her mother had gotten them a room with one queen bed. If that wasn't a blunt hint she didn't know what was.

She heard the door close quietly behind her and her throat went dry. She suddenly felt nervous, even though they had both established that this is what they wanted from each other. He had chosen to cross that line by saying those words, admitting his feelings, staying with her. And she had crossed that line by accepting him and kissing him, twice.

He surveyed the room, hands thrust into his pockets. "Well, this isn't too bad. Not like that time in Gespia. Or Juvar. Oooh. I just remembered Loxima. Now that was a nightmare of a place. Made some of our prison stays seem like five star hotels."