Chapter 31

"Keep your hands up," Grayson said, and I did as I was told, keeping my eyes fixed on him, his stance, his eyes. 

He punched out a shot, and I dodged it with ease. I learned now, with the days of fighting with him, that he took a little quick intake of breath before he went for a shot. 

It was hard to figure out, but I got it in the end and now all his moves were predictable. 

He continued throwing punches at me, sometimes kicking his leg out to try and falter me, but with a smug look on my face, I continued dodging him. My body was getting used to the rhythm of fighting again, and I had never felt so good at that moment, as I watched the infamous king of the west become frustrated when he couldn't get any shots on me. 

"Get that smirk off your face," he gritted out as he took a step forward, his arms jabbing at me. 

I didn't know there was a smirk on my face at all, but I had no intention of getting rid of it, as I ducked under his outshot arm and pushed his back, so he toppled forward. 

Without breaking the beat, he swivelled around, his arms up and ready, the sweat shining on the ridges of muscles. He wiped his lip with his thumb, a little grin on his face, as he said - "You're going to regret that," 

I hopped on one foot to another, shaking the little strands of hair from my face, ready and expectant for him - "Prove it." 

His eyes sparkled, and he jumped forward, the movement sleek and precise. 

I stepped to the right, quickly jumping back when he went down and swung his leg into an arc to trip me. 

"You'll have to harder than that," I breathed before blowing a piece of hair that had fallen onto my face away from my eyes. I needed to be able to see everything. 

His eyes seemed to glow as he gazed over me, assessing everything, it reminded me of how a predator analysed their prey before going for the kill. I shivered, a foreign feeling pulling at my gut, making me nervous. 

Making me excited

In a split second, he punched forward and I sidestepped but gasped when I felt his arm on my chest pushing in one direction and his ankle on mine pushing in the other and suddenly I was rotating in the air. 

And then I was on the floor, groaning as pain shot through my body. I looked up at him, murder burning in my eyes. 

He shrugged, the corner of his lips curled upwards - "You asked for it," 

Flames sizzled through my veins as I let out a little growl and grabbed his ankles, pulling with all my force. 

I heard him groan as his ass hit the ground, and before he could stand up and pull that move again, I pressed my knee against his gut and my arm against his throat. 

"You want to say that again?" 

One second I was winning, the next I was on the ground and he was on me. His hair was ruffled, and his breathing was heavy, I noticed the way he licked his lips and the way the sweat rolled off his forehead as he said - "With pleasure," 

I could feel the way his legs were pressed up against me, the way his heat made me feel like I was melting. He was close. He was really really close. 

But I didn't back down. 

"I dare you," I breathed, his nose inches away from mine. 

When did he get that close? 

But I didn't think about how my heart was fluttering, how I could feel his heartbeat; rapid and strong like mine. 

Maybe it was just because he fought too hard. 

"You -," 

The doors to the training room banged open and the siblings walked in, before halting in their path when they noticed the position we were in. 

Grayson jumps off me, standing up and offering his hand for me to take. But I saw the twinkle of mischief in his eyes and slapped it away, standing up for myself. 

"Nice try," I muttered and he grinned like a thief caught red-handed. 

"Well, ignoring the little thing that was going on," Nora said waving her hands at the floor, in slight disgust. "Grayson, there is an issue," 

Grayson was quick to listen, "What do you mean?" 

"The dragons we had tried to form an alliance with... Well some of them have gone rogue and are now burning down villages in rebellion," 

I watched the king's jaw clench and then unclench as he practically ripped off anything he was wearing and stalked out the room. 

I was quick to follow suit as the other two rushed out behind him; everything had suddenly become tense and quiet. I wasn't liking it one bit. 

Grayson was in the living room, scribbling a letter on a piece of paper and then whistling a low note. I blinked as a crow flew down onto the open windowsill and he hurriedly placed the now rolled letter into its beak and watched it fly off. A calmness was radiating off him, but as he ran a hand through his hair, his eyes closely guarded. 

I didn't know why or how, but I could feel the stress and panic surging under his skin, I could feel his worry like it was me feeling it all. 

I just didn't know what to do to help. 

He looked up at all of us, his eyes ablaze, "Shall we go and pay those dragons a little visit?" 

There was a grin on Azule's face as he twirled blades in his hand, his face screaming for a fight. "I am so ready for this," 

Grayson's eyes flicked to me, a question in his eyes and I nodded confirming the unspoken words. 

I was ready for this too.