Resentment and Pain

Love.

It's never easy to come by, is it? 

Falling in love is the ultimate surrender to another human being.

That's why I stopped calling her, because I knew she could never return my feelings. The iris messages stopped, well not at first I suppose. When I went home after seeing Annabeth, I realized I couldn't afford to fall in any further than I had already.

She called that night, like always, so I answered. Annabeth wanted to make sure I made it home okay and sure enough, I had. The next night, she called, and I answered.

I did this for two weeks until I knew I couldn't bare it anymore. It was too tough to see Annabeth and know that I could call her my own so I stopped. It was gradual at first, only answering every other day. Then two times a week. One time a week, and then nothing. I noticed, Annabeth didn't stop for months. She still called every single day but slowly, her attempts became lesser and I knew it had worked.

I had pushed her farther away than I could have ever imagined.

Months passed and life went on like usual for me. There were battles, fights, not to mention, a very gruesome short war fought against monsters recently.

It was tough on me, but nothing compared to the giant war. I suffered a fatal wound to my stomach that I had been recovering from. I had just gotten out of the infirmary today and now I was supposed to stay home and rest. Frank always got my input on decisions when I was in the infirmary and I hoped he would do the same while I was on house rest.

I had cold and distant after the last months, just like Drew said I was, so you can imagine how surprised I was when there was a knock on my door at three A.M. At first, my mind went to all the worst scenarios like I had to as Praetor, but when I went downstairs, dressed in my pajamas, I knew it hadn't been urgent.

If it were, they would've knocked again. Slowly, I opened the door and was surprised to see Annabeth Chase, standing right there in front of me.

My eyes widened as she stood there, her eyebrows knit in the most adorable way. "A-Annabeth?" I asked, shocked to see her here. Was I imagining things?

She opened her mouth to say something but instead, Annabeth only got closer. Slowly, I opened my arms for a hug as it was what I suspected she wanted.

But instead, her hand came and struck me across the cheek. Immediately, I felt a burning sensation as my mouth opened in shock.

I touched my cheek, processing what had just happened. Turning my head, I looked at her. I couldn't believe Annabeth had just slapped me, but then she moved closer and grabbed my face, pulling me to her.

She held me tightly, one of her hands cradling my head as the other wrapped around my waist. It wasn't until now that I could hear her quiet sobs.

My arms wrapped around her torso as I let my head fall into her shoulder. "Why didn't you call me? Why didn't you tell me Camp Jupiter was attacked?" She questioned as she stroked my head. "Why didn't you tell me you almost died?" Annabeth's voice quieted as I felt her tears wet my shirt.

The rest of the night was a blur. I pulled her inside and she refused to let go, somehow finding a way to blame it on herself.

"If I would've moved here sooner this wouldn't have happened. I could've protected you," she cried into my shirt as we laid on my couch in the living room.

"Wait. You're moving here?" I questioned, watching as she lifted her head a bit from its position on my chest.

Annabeth nodded weakly, trying to smile through her tears as I stared at her. I couldn't believe this was happening. Annabeth was really moving here? To Camp Jupiter? It was a lot to take in but all I could focus on were her eyes, seemingly staring into my soul.