four ↴

"So, what's your name again?" Klaus asked, turning around in his seat to face me

"Josephine-But my friends call me Jo," I answered with a small smile.

"Well, Jo...you're so pretty," Klaus said as he stared at me. I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Thank you," I said, already starting to feel my cheeks heat up. My eyes widened as he reached over to touch my face.

"How is your nose so tiny and cute? Oh! And your lips are so symmetrical!" Klaus gushed loudly.

"Klaus! Stop freaking her out," Diego snapped, slapping Klaus's hand away from me.

"Ouch," Klaus whined. Diego rolled his eyes in annoyance, turning his attention back towards the road. I turned to look out of the window, using my hand to prop my chin up. I watched quietly as the cars passed by. Hearing someone call me pretty made me feel...nice. Deep in my gut, I had this weird feeling like someone was watching me. My eyes grazed around until they met with Diego's brown ones. I suddenly felt my heart beat quicken. I gave him a small smile, trying to show him some kindness. He immediately looked away from me. The smile fell off my face as I turned towards the window again. Am I doing something wrong?

"You okay?" Diego asked, turning to steal a glance at Klaus, who was currently slouched against the window with a bottle of booze clutched in his hand. Klaus ignored his question and continued to sip his drink. "Wow. That's a first. My brother Klaus is silent," Diego pointed out. I turned my attention towards them. "Last time you were this quiet, we were 12. Ran down the stairs wearing Grace's heels, tripped over, and broke your jaw." I laughed quietly to myself. A picture of little Klaus running around in heels filled my mind. "How long was it wired shut again?" Diego asked.

"Eight weeks," Klaus mumbled.

"Eight glorious weeks of bliss." Diego chuckled softly. The car grew quiet for a while. It was more of a peaceful silence rather than an uncomfortable one. I suddenly furrowed my eyebrows.

"Who's Grace?" I asked, breaking the silence. Diego clenched his jaw slightly, glancing at me through the rear-view mirror. His gaze was harsh.

"Our Mom," he answered. I nodded my head slowly. Why does he seem so uptight about it? Is it because of me?

"Hey, just...just drop me off here," Klaus spoke up. I turned to look out of the window. 'VFW Lakeshore Post B392.' Why is Klaus going to a...veteran bar? Diego pulled into a parking spot and Klaus started to get out of the car.

"You sure you're okay, man?" Diego asked. Klaus ignored him and shut the door. I watched as he stumbled into the bar. Diego started to back out of the parking spot, but suddenly stopped. He let out a sigh as he pulled back in. "Stay here," Diego said, starting to get out of the car. I bit my lip as I watched him go inside. I debated if I should actually listen to him or not. Chewing on my lip nervously, I hopped out of the car.

𝑫𝒊𝒆𝒈𝒐'𝒔 𝑷𝑶𝑽―

I walked into the bar, immediately noticing Klaus gazing at a picture that hung on the wall. Making my way over to him, I slapped a hand on his shoulder. He turned around, rolling his eyes as he noticed it was me.

"Just go away, please," Klaus said, letting out a sigh.

"Not until you talk to me," I said. I know something's off with him, and I'm gonna find out what it is.

"Is that a threat? Are you threatening me?" Klaus asked, making me roll my eyes.

"Hey, guys," A deep voice said from behind us. I turned around to lean against the pool table, looking over at the guy who was talking.

"This bar? It's for vets only," he stated.

"I am a vet," Klaus mumbled, still staring at the picture. I turned to look at my brother, confusion filling my face.

"Really?" The man chuckled. "Where'd you serve?"

"None of your business," Klaus shot back.

"You got balls comin' in here, pretending you're one of us," he scoffed.

"Oh, I have every right to be here, just like you. Asshole!" Klaus snapped loudly. The man tried to come at Klaus, but I stopped him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey. slow down, Marine. All right? My brother's just had a few too many. Let's just call it a day, all go our own way," I started to say. My eyes trailed over to the front door, watching as Josephine walked into the bar. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and folded her arms over her chest as she looked at us. Shit.

"Sure thing. As long as you apologize," the man said. Klaus giggled to himself like a child. I clenched my jaw, letting out a sigh.

"Fine," I said. Josephine started to make her way over to us. All of the men in the bar stared her down, and it made my skin crawl. "I'm sorry. He's sorry. We're all sorry." The man stared at me for a moment. "So...are we good?" I asked.

"I wanna hear him say it," he said stubbornly, pointing to Klaus. That's not the answer I wanted to hear.

"Look, man. I'm just trying—"

"No, no. He's right, Diego," Klaus stated, turning around to face us.

𝑱𝒐'𝒔 𝑷𝑶𝑽―

I made my way over to the others, instantly noticing the tension in the air. Diego looked at me sternly, and I knew I got myself into trouble.

"I'd like to apologize, that you...are depriving some village of their idiot!" Klaus yelled in the man's face. Oh great. What did I walk into? The man clenched his jaw with anger, swinging his fist towards Klaus's face. Luckily, he missed, and Klaus took this as an advantage to head butt him. I grunted as Klaus stumbled into me. Diego clocked the man right in the nose, sending him to the ground. This seemed to trigger a bar fight. I was very confused on what I should be doing. I can't fight, let alone against a bunch of grown men. I gasped as a man came charging towards Klaus while I was standing right in the way. Klaus pushed me away before I got trampled, and I collided into someone. Diego grabbed onto me so I didn't fall and helped me steady myself.

"Go get in the car," Diego ordered. I nodded my head and started making my way past a bunch of angry men. I quickly got into the backseat, watching the door and impatiently twiddling my thumbs together.

"Come on, guys," I whispered to myself. Just as I said that, the door busted open and they both came rushing out of the bar. They hopped into the car and we drove off.