Labor Of Love - 2

Seeing as Dracula’s castle was open to human tourism, after that book had been written about my grandfather, we had been forced to move our homes. Father chose a large castle, thought to be abandoned, in the country side. Far away from any towns or villages. Me, I decided to blend in and after having my fill of Father and my brother, I moved to the small village of Whitaker. There, all the houses are slim, slanted and tall. Easily able to blend in. And far from my family.  That’s what makes it more attractive to me. Hiding from others in plain sight. Where I move, my advisor has to move. So Loren lives a few miles away – requesting permission to have her own space. Which I eagerly accepted. As much as I appreciate Loren, I would rather be secluded from her too. While waiting for the time to pick up Donnacha – Donnacha, the name being so enticing – I try to navigate the television. Being  raised in an old fashioned atmosphere, I was never introduced to technology. So I manage to turn it on and leave the rest to faith as I watched some program on serial killers.

The irony would kill me if I were mortal.

Usually serial killers are just stupid vampires, and if not it has been suspected that the human has vampire somewhere in their bloodline. Hence having the emotionless state. Vampires don’t possess the emotions other than lust and contempt. Only finding some form of contentment when killing someone, quite like a serial killer. Hence, the suspicions arose. Some vampires are looking into the link but no studies have shown anything yet. This train of thought brings me to another one.

Donnacha.

Although I apparently lack the compassion and emotions a human does, I will try to care for him even though all I will feel is lust. Maybe I will grow to appreciate him. The closest a vampire can get to love. I hear a rap of knuckles on my door and I flick my eyes at it, the door opening as I do so. Father had told me I’d gain telekinesis and evidently it only works under the cover of night. Loren looks approvingly at me as she steps into the house.

“I see you’ve discovered that ability,” she sits on the back of the couch beside my head. I give her a disregarding murmur.

“Not exactly the most convenient if it’s not available during the day,” I scoff, snapping my fingers – shutting the door. Loren rubs my shoulder comfortingly.

“That will come with time. You’ve been in power for two days, these things take time. Any move development?” she questions. I look up at her.

“And if you mean persuasion by that comment, then no. No development,” I respond dryly. One of the abilities Father used to flaunt in our faces growing up. How he could get us to do anything he  wanted us to do with the matter of a few words, or even none at all.

“But how would you know? You’ve been alone all day,” she stands back up, straightening out her pencil skirt. “Try me.”

I look at her in a funny manor with a raised eyebrow. “What do you do?”

“Order me to do something,” she tells me, holding her hands together out in front of her, waiting. I roll my eyes and lock eyes with her, like Father had always done to me.

“Stand on one foot.”

She immediately obliges and looks down once she has done so. She gives me a slight smile. “I was expecting something more sinister.”

I shrug, running my hand through my hair. “In that case, I don’t think you know me at all.”

“I know you enough to know that you’ve been anticipating this time all day and haven’t even tried to sleep,” she tilts her head to the side with a knowing grin. I shake my head at her, giving her a breezy laugh.