Chapter 3: You Don't Understand.

After spending all day with Alex, I finally arrived home. I opened the front door and walked inside to find my mom and dad talking about me.

I stood by the doorway listening carefully and eavesdropping on their conversation.

"There was just these long bloody red welts across her arm."

"What could they be..?"

"She said that she scraped her arm on the glass table in the living room, but that wouldn't make that much damage."

Damn it. He knew I lied.

"Do you think it could've been someone else? like she got in a fight maybe?"

"I'm not sure, but ill make sure to talk to her about it."

Shit. I did not want to have this conversation with her at all.

I quickly ran upstairs, tripping over my own feet. I entered my room, slamming the wooden door behind me. Groaning, I sat on my soft bed, my gaze flickering back and fourth towards the door anxiously, as if expecting my mother to burst through.

I glanced at my old, worn down dresser. The paint was peeling, and it didn't look like it could survive much longer. I sighed, opening one of the drawers; grabbing my skull sweater. I slipped it over my head, pulling the sleeves around my cold, pale hands.

Better. I thought to myself, At least now maybe my mother wouldn't be able to see what I've done to my body.

My thoughts were interrupted with my mother screaming downstairs.

"Violet!" She called. "Could you come down here please?"

I froze, my hands started trembling. My heart felt like it was going to burst through my chest.

"C-Coming!" I whimpered. This was it. I braced myself for the worst as I slowly grabbed my door handle. My legs felt numb as I slumped down the stairs. "Um, y-yes Mom?" I bit my lip nervously.

My mother turned towards me with a smile. "There you are Violet." She took a hand and brushed away a few strands of her long, brown hair from her face before turning and patting the empty space on the sofa beside her. "Could you sit down, please?"

I forced a slight smile then slowly sat down on the sofa. I stared at the floor, my body trembling.

I heard a slight sigh from my mother before hearing her soft spoken voice.

"Violet, I've heard about these, oh what are they, welts, on your arms? Honey, what in the world happened?" Her eyes were full of worry as she stared at my arm; unable to see what lay beneath my thick hoodie.

I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes. "I uhm, I--" my voice trailed off as a warm tear rolled down my cheek, followed by a few more.

"Violet?" My mother exclaimed in worry, wrapping her arms around my head, my tears soaking her long flannel shirt. "Let me see."

I looked up at her, my eyes glazed with fear. "But--"

"Now." My mother demanded, her voice stern.

I sighed, then took a finger, lightly placing my hand over my sleeve. My hand trembled, giving me trouble grasping the fabric. I slowly, but gently pulled the long sleeve up until it stopped at my shoulder. I turned my head, trying not to make eye contact with my mother; afraid of what she might think.

I heard her gasp in shock as she stared at the bright red welts on my arm, covered in dry blood.

"Oh..Violet what happened precious?"