Tagged: 10 Favourite Books

@Maprod tagged me to do a list of ten favourite books, but I hanestly can't do only ten, so herewith follows a list with ten points, and more books than 10. I have other favourite authors, etc, but I'm sticking to my favourite genre.

1.        The First Law Trilogy, and all books by Joe Abercrombie

Abercrombie's number one spot on this list has been contested a number of times by Mr Rothfuss' awe-inspiring work, but Joe's books are so revolutionary, gory, realistic, morbid, and adventurous, that they shook me out of my stupour and got me writing. For that these books will have the number one spot! The First Law Trilogy is accompanied by a number of stand alone books like The Heroes, which you'll have to read too. Each one is amazing, brilliant, mind-blowing, and so on and so forth. I won't give you any spoilers, so just go read it already. 

2.        The Kingkiller Chronicles and all books by Patrick Rothfuss

In all rights Mr Rothfuss is my favourite author, and I guess the only reason he's not at the number one spot is because his third book is not out yet (The Doors of Stone) *shakes fist and wails*.  His books are literary marvels, though he breaks all the carefully collected rules the page masters out there enforce with heavy breath. I've pored over their contents ever agape at how perfect each sentence is. Worth the lengthy read.

3.        The Broken Empire Trilogy, and all books by Mark Lawrence

Poetic in the goriest sense, descriptive, stark writing with a plot that will knock your socks off. I love Mark's main character and the post apocalyptic world he throws in our faces. Let me warn you that if you were expeting conventional things, you've come to the wrong list, and Mr Lawrence's books are no different. I've never read anything quite like them! Breathtaking is an understatement.

4.        Gentlemen Bastards Series and all books by Scott Lynch

After reading the first book, The Lies of Locke Lamore, I discovered that Mr Lynch is a young author with an intriguing story. So far three of the eight books have been published, written, whatever you wanna call it. Again the unique style, vigilante bad / good boy character, and fantastical world have my jowls dribbling with want for more delctable literature. A close fourth to Mark Lawrence (only 'cause Jorg, the Prince of Thorns, is so cool).

5.        A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R R Martin

This is arguably the most popular epic fantasy series of our time, the books on which the TV series 'Game of Thrones' is based. This is a classic, people. It is a must read. George's characters are wonderful, vivid, unpredictable, dangerous, and all those good things you wanna read about. Currently there are six books, but more are coming. 

6.        The Lord of the Rings Books by J R R Tolkien

Another classic which I thoroughly enjoyed (and am still enjoying). There is a simplicity to his writing that tells of another time, and a finely tuned plot that many writers envy. Having read almost all of the LOTR books, I discovered that they were much more enjoyable than the movies (some cool stuff was removed which made the books for me). Regardless, I suggest you read these or hide your face in shame at nerd gatherings. 

7.        The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

A bit of a teeny bopper book this one, but I fell in love with the character, the world she lives in, the revolutionary feel of it all, and I even liked the movies (thus far). This book would be a good introduction the the world of fantasy for younger readers, but everyone will enjoy it.

8.        The Graceling Trilogy by Kristin Cashore

I read Kristin's books long before I started writing, and they were a kind of foundation for my fantasy obsession I suppose. The protagonists are dashing, brave, conflicting, and female. You don't wanna miss this one - her fantasy world is jaw dropping.

9.        The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

The first fantasy book I ever read was The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It took me into another world! Many people don't know there was another book before this renowned one, and I admit the first one was my favourite. Along with Mr Tolkien, C S Lewis shaped the fantasy genre for those of us who brave its turbulent waters today. 

10.        The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Zombies, post apocalyptic world, heart thumping stuff from page to page that builds to impossible odds and will have you on the edge of your seat, or maybe throwing the book at the wall. Isn't that what we all want out of books? There are other books in the series, but this is the only one that makes it onto my top ten.

Now it's your turn @Cashjo @KaylaWex @NikkiS @FromtheBar @CarolinaC @AlysArden