Institution

A janitor walked in the library with his cart. We were all calm fortunately.

"Hey Brian, how're you doing?"

Brian just smiled.

"Your dad work here?" John asked.

"John," I said.

"What?...Carl?"

Carl turns to my brother.

"What?"

"How does one become a janitor?"

"You wanna be a janitor?"

"No, I just wanna know how one becomes a janitor, because Andrew here, is interested in pursuing a career in the custodial arts."

"John!" I said chuckling.

"Oh really? You really think I'm some untouchable peasant, serf, peon, huh? Let me tell you something, following a broom around after shitheads like you for the past eight years has taught me a few things. I look through your letters, I look through your lockers, you may not know that but I listen to your conversations. I'm the eyes and ears of this institution my friends."

He turned to me.

"You must be Jennifer, we finally meet, John tells me a lot about you, he says you're the highlight of his life. You have no idea how happy he looks when he tells me stories about you. Good luck getting into show biz."

He winked and clicked his tongue as he pointed at me.

"And by the way, that clock's twenty minutes fast."

I heard a few groans.

After a while, John started whistling. I joined in, then the rest did. Vernon walked in, John then whistled Beethoven.

"Alright girls, that's thirty minutes for lunch."

"Here?" Andrew asked.

"Here."

"I think the cafeteria would be a more suitable place to eat lunch in sir."

"Well, I don't care what you think Andrew."

"Uh Dick," John said raising his hand.

All eyes were on him.

"Excuse me Rich, will milk be available to us?"

"We're extremely thirsty sir," Andrew said.

"I have a very low tolerance for dehydration," Claire said.

"I've seen her dehydrate sir, it's pretty gross."

"Relax, my sister and I will get it-"

"Ah ah ah ah, grab some wood there bub, you think I'm gonna let you roam these halls!"

John sat back down. Vernon turned to Andrew.

"You."

He looked around, then to me.

"And you, Bender Jr. Get up!"

I got up.

"There's a soft drink machine in the teachers lounge, let's go."

Me and Andrew walked out of the library. We were walking in hall.

"So, what's your poison?"

"What?"

"What do you drink?"

"Alcohol or beverages in general?"

"Just in general."

"Umm...I guess I can call myself a soda person."

He nodded.

"Why are you in detention?"

"Because people accuse me of being someone I'm not. Same to you?"

"I'm here, because of my dad, he thinks I'm the champion at sports. We're very competitive, he says I have lightning speed kinda like a race horse. Jennifer, can I call you Jenny?"

"Sure."

"People bully you because they think you're just like John because you're related."

"High school is the most judgemental place in all of mankind. You're known as a stuck up athlete and me, the sister of the bad boy. I just started here and they treat me like shit. Vernon has the nickname Bender Jr. for me. I'm just a normal girl, John loves me with all his heart, he takes care of me, the only person in my family who comes to my theatre stuff. So, to sum shit up, he's not as bad everyone thinks he is."

We walked to the teacher's lounge.