Chapter 12

Mr. Rodriguez came back in and stood to the side. Mike kept his eyes fixed on him, not moving his glance away as if he were trying to burn a hole in the guy's chest.

"Can I help you Mr. Nishwash?"

"I was hoping you could help me........But your an idiot."

"Mike, what are you doing?" Micky asked with serious concern on his face.

Mike smiled at him and Micky figured out what he was doing. Mike was trying to annoy him so much to get the guy to untie him and try to fight him.

"What did you say to me?"

"You can't even pronounce my name right."

"You know, I am getting tired your mouth."

"Why don't you come over here and do something about it. But, let's make it a fair fight."

"Okay. A fair fight." He walked up to Mike and untied him. Mike looked toward Micky and then looked back at the guy who had just finished untying him.

"Okay Mr. Wise Guy. Put 'em up."

"Sure thing." Mike swung his fist unexpectedly at him and hit him in the face knocking him out instantly.

"You did it Mike!"

Mike walked up to Micky and untied him first. Then he went to Davy and Micky went to Peter. Once they were all untied, they took off out the back door.

"Should we get the cops involved?" Peter asked not bothering to look back.

"Once we are far enough away. Yes."

They got far enough away and stopped to catch their breath. Micky sat down along with Davy and Peter. Mike went to the nearest phone booth and took out a dime and deposited it into the booth and called the cops.

"I like this plan. We didn't really have a plan." Peter pointed out.

"That's true. Mike just winged it. Literally. Which was awesome. Who knew?"

Micky and Davy both exchanged glances and turned to Mike who was still on the phone with the cops.

Once Mike hung up the receiver, he walked back to the gang. "They will be there shortly."

"Groovy. Now, can we go home?"

"Yeah. Let's go home fellas."

Now they all took the long journey home. With no car, it took several hours to reach the pad.

Once they arrived, Davy said: "Its good to be back home."

"Tell me about it."

Micky went upstairs and Peter and Davy went to their rooms. Mike walked over to a mirror and he saw several bruises left on his face. One planted on his lower jaw, a second one on his left eye, and a third one on his cheek bone. He let out a sigh.

Micky had done the same thing. He went to the upstairs bathroom and looked in the mirror. He only had 2 though. One on his right eye, and the second one on his cheek.

Mike walked into the bedroom as Micky walked out of the bathroom and looked at Micky's eye and he couldn't help but chuckle at him.

"What are you laughing at Mike?"

"We match. Our eyes."

"Yeah all except you have a black eye on your left and I got one on the right."

"See what I mean?"

"Yeah I guess I do."

"Are you okay Mike? Before we knew you were there, you were hurt pretty bad."

"I'm fine bud. Nothing to worry about."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Don't worry about it Mick."

"Okay. But know that I'm gonna be worried about ya buddy."

"Thanks Micky. Honestly, I'm fine."

"Okay. Whatever you say big guy."

Downstairs

Peter and Davy had just exited their room. They had changed into comfortable clothing instead of jeans.

"Hey Petah. Want to play a game of chess?"

"Yeah. Sure. Which color you wanna be? Black or white?"

"Black."

Peter set up the chess game as Mike and Micky came downstairs. Mike walked down as Micky slid down the railing.

"Micky, one of these days, your gonna hurt yourself coming down the stairs."

"No I won't Peter. I've been doing it for several years."

"Dont jinx it Mick." Mike turned around to face him.

"I'm not gonna. Believe me."

"Uh-huh. Yeah. We believe you won't hurt yourself."

"Oh come on guys." Micky wasn't watching where he was going and he ran into the metal staircase head on.

"What'd we tell you?" By now, the other three monkees were laughing at Micky.

"Hey come on. Knock it off. You were talking about me going down the stairs. Not me walking into it." Micky said rubbing his head where he hit it.

"Well that's what you get for not paying attention." Peter said as he tried to stop his laughing. But failed miserably.

"Come on guys. Quit laughing."

"Mick we aren't laughing at you. We are laughing with you."

"Yeah there's one thing wrong with that. I'm the one not laughing."

Micky did have a slight smile on his face but he tried to hide it. Unfortunately Davy saw it.

"What's that Micky?"

"What's what?"

"Your smiling."

"Am not!" This only made Micky smile bigger but he tried to hide it again by turning away.

"Micky, you can stop pretending."

"Okay. So I'm smiling. So what?"

"That's better Micky. Now was that so hard to admit?" Mike said placing his hand on Micky's shoulder.

"Actually it was."

"Come on."

Their telephone rang. Davy jumped up and went to the phone. "Yeah? Okay. We will take the gig. Thanks."

"Who was that?" Micky said walking over to Davy.

"Its for a job at the Vincent Van Goh Goh. For a 6 month contract. $150 for each week we play."

"$150? Dang. That's a good pay."

"I agree. So when do we start?" Peter asked.

"Tomorrow evening. 3 hours each gig."

"So, let's get to practicing."