Scarlett

I decided to not text him immediately. He had mentioned having to meet up with friends as he left the diner so I didn't want to interrupt that. I typed the number into my phone before saving the contact as soulmate and throwing it on my bed. I had to figure out something to do to occupy myself to distract me from running into my room to grab my phone. I waited five years to find him, I could wait a few hours to text him.
I went to the kitchen to make some food considering the only food I had was a couple of pieces of toast hours ago at work. I found some leftover grilled chicken and some salad which would make a decent meal to satisfy my food craving. I fixed my salad in a bowl before choosing whether to sit at the dining table or on the couch. I chose the latter since it would allow me to watch tv for some background noise in the empty house.
I had an empty bowl and three episodes of Friends watched when Brynn came through the door. She explained that her and Carson would be going to dinner once he got off work meaning I would be alone again. I checked my watch to see the time and was surprised that it was already after five o'clock. I made a decision to wash the few dishes in the sink before taking a shower to wash the diner smell out of my hair. It had the ability to nearly make me sick when I acknowledged the fried food scent. The dishes didn't take long and Carson came through the door as I grabbed a clean towel from the laundry room. We exchanged quick greetings before he went into his shared bedroom, and I slipped into my bathroom. The shower was refreshing after the day of ups and downs that I had. It was hard to not rush my cleansing routine as I thought about the boy on the other end of that phone number. Images of him danced through my head and I desperately wanted more. I wanted to know what he looked like first thing in the morning or after a long day or taking a stroll in the park. There were so many things that I couldn't wait to experience with him, but part of me knew he wouldn't be here for long. He's constantly traveling so even though I'm here, he wont drop everything to stay. I shook the thoughts out of my head trying to focus on the positives, but knowing I would always worry in the back of my mind.
I made my way out of my bedroom after getting dressed to grab a glass of water from the kitchen. On my way back to my room, Carson and Brynn were headed out the door asking me to lock it behind them. Once the door was locked and I was alone again, I settled into bed before pulling up my messages app to click on new message. I typed in 's' causing soulmate to pop up as the first result. Instantly clicking the name, I tried to think of the message to send. A thousand different thoughts were floating around in my brain. What do you say in a situation like this? I finally typed something and hit the send button. Immediately slapping my hand against my forehead as I looked at what I had sent:
howdy partner
I turned on some music to have noise in the otherwise quiet house while scrolling through my emails to see if I had missed any emails from potential employers. I had not. A notification popped up at the top of the screen for a new text message. I continued scrolling through a few more emails before deciding I was ready to see the reply I had gotten.
how do you do, milady? I didn't know what I had expected, but his reply let me know that, maybe, we were just weird enough for each other.
so, you never did tell me who sings that fucking song or your name
you'll have to ask me that again in person ;) and it's calum. wby
scarlett
i'd love to ask you in person, but when will i see you again
do you work tomorrow?
no
The time between replies was getting longer each time so I not to focus too much on the messages. I listened to the music still playing in my room and scrolled through social medias. At least I had a name now instead of soulmate, but it's not like I'll ever change it in my phone. I like the cliche of marking him as exactly what he was. About an hour passed by and I still hadn't heard back from him. Maybe he saw the conversation as concluded? Brynn and Carson had gotten back from dinner, and I heard the slight hum of their bedroom tv and the shower running. I knew that neither one of them would want to be bothered with the story of me finding my soulmate this late in the day, but I made a mental note to tell them at some point tomorrow.
It was nearing eleven when I saw my phone screen light up as I was trying to fall asleep. There was a new message notification from soulmate. I debated on whether to open it now or wait until the morning, but if I didn't open it now, I'd never fall asleep.
im so sorry sweetheart. i was out at dinner with friends and then had to catch up on work. i was going to ask you to meet me at the diner at 10 tomorrow morning. got a lot to talk bout
Him using the word sweetheart in a text had my heart beating faster than I'd like to admit. I don't know how I would react to it in person. I almost felt bad for his apology because while I was upset that he didn't reply for hours, I knew that I wasn't his priority. No matter what our relationship was, I had only met him today. I quickly sent back a text before falling asleep my eyelids being to heavy to wait for a reply.
no need to apologize. of course i'll be there
—————
a/n: hey! i've had a sucky day so i'm posting a new chapter for y'all! this is part 11 and this story will have 20 parts, so we're over halfway there! thank you all so much for reading, and, please, fell free to give me feedback!