1 : From bad to worse

(Y/n) was awoken by a throbbing pain in her head. She squinted her eyes against the harsh sun and tried to sit up. A bolt of pain shot through her left ankle as it brushed against the ground, causing her to flinch. She tried to reach up and touch her head but quickly realized her arms were tied behind her back. She tried to remember how on Earth she had ended up like this but everything was... fuzzy.

(Y/n) couldn't remember anything aside from her name. She looked around, hoping to find something that would jog her memory. As far as she could see there was nothing but cactus, dust, and rock around for miles.

"Fantastic" (Y/n) thought bitterly. "I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can't remember a thing, bound and gagged, and I have at least two injuries. All signs point to good things happening here."

With some difficulty (Y/n) managed to push herself into a standing position. She tried to take a step forward only to hiss in pain as she put weight on her left ankle. It felt like she had just stepped on broken glass. (Y/n) winced as she limped forward, ankle or no ankle she couldn't stay here. If she waited here she'd most likely die of dehydration before anyone found her. So, (Y/n) picked a direction and began to head on her way.

She wasn't sure how long she'd been traveling when she heard the sound of approaching hoof beats. A ray of hope fluttered in her chest, where there was a horse there was usually a rider. She turned towards the sound and tried to call out for help, her cries muffled by the gag in her mouth. A wave of relief washed over her as she spotted the approaching silhouettes of multiple riders.

Upon reaching her the riders formed a loose, wide circle around her. One man, a lanky coyote who appeared to be in charge, hopped off his horse and began to slowly circle (Y/n). (Y/n)'s heart sank, something about this didn't feel right.

"Well well well, what do we 'ave here?" the coyote mused, "Ya don't look like yer from 'round these parts little miss."

He paused directly in front of her. He tilted her head upwards so that he was looking her dead in the eyes.

"Purdy little thing ain't Cha?"

(Y/n) flinched at the rank stench of his breath and pulled away from his grasp. She had a feeling this man didn't have some very good intentions. He chuckled lowly and (Y/n) tried to back away only to be blocked by another rider.

"Where do ya think yer goin' little darlin?" the coyote chuckled darkly, "I ain't done with ya yet."

(Y/n) felt a bubble of panic rise in her chest as the coyote placed a hand on her cheek. A crooked smile graced his lips as he turned to one of his companions.

"Jebadiah, ah want ya ta- What in tarnation is-"

A loud gun shot rang through the air, cutting the coyote off as he simultaneously reeled backwards and clutched his shoulder. (Y/n) barely had time to process what had just happened when she felt something hook around her waist and hoist her into the air. Before she knew what was happening she found herself slung over the back of a saddle and barreling away from the sketchy band of riders.

She looked up to see them angrily scrambling to give chase. She could make out their angry yells saying things like "no one shoots our boss and gets away with it". (Y/n) watched as the gang began to pick up speed and, to her horror, started to draw closer. 

"Hold on now," a voice in front of her instructed, "things are a fixin' ta get a little bumpy here."

"Hold on? What the heck am I supposed to hold on to?!" 
(Y/n) mentally retorted.

Sure enough, things got pretty bumpy as the rider steered their horse into the mouth of a canyon. Between the sharp turns and sudden jumps it was a miracle (Y/n) didn't fall off. She quickly lost sight of the gang as the horse rounded another corner. While the gang was fast this mystery person was faster. It wasn't long before (Y/n) stopped hearing the angry shouts and thunderous hooves of her pursuers.

"Ah think ah've lost em," the rider sighed in relief.

(Y/n) felt the saddle shift beneath her as the rider dismounted. She felt a pair of strong arms lift her off the horse and gently lower her to the ground. She turned around to face whoever this mystery rider was.

"Now then, are ya alright miss?" a dusty brown, male raccoon asked gently.

********************************

Welp, here we go! Off on a new adventure.

Sorry I didn't post this last night, I was tired and didn't want my writing to suffer because of it.

This first chapter is a little darker and faster paced than my usual work. Things will slow down in the next few chapters though. Just a little heads up there will be blood mentioned in the next chapter.

I plan on posting the next chapter today or tomorrow.

Love you guys and see you soon! 💛