4| Jealous

Standing outside the volleyball gym gives you butterflies in the stomach as excitement and nervousness swirl inside you. Finally, you will be able to watch a volleyball practice up close and you have to thank Nishinoya for giving you the opportunity. You even excused yourself from club activities, just for today. A few things worry you though and those are scenarios that involve being brutally hit by a volleyball. Aside from that, you worry about being bothered and interrogated tomorrow by your friends about Nishinoya's sudden invitation.

The sound of several footsteps started coming closer as you spotted the familiar 2nd and 3rd year players of the team returning after changing into their practice uniform. You held your breath and avoided immediate eye contact, however, Nishinoya called your name so loud and cheerfully that your attention focused on him, and only him; eliminating the others from your vision. White t-shirt, black practice shorts; despite the libero's simple attire, his smile and charm never fails to make your heart skip a beat.

"Is she the friend you were mentioning Nishinoya?"

A deep masculine voice snapped you out of your trance. The players had gathered near you with Nishinoya on the front, introducing you to them.

"Mhm! Everyone, this is (f/n)-chan. She's a friend."

"Oh, (f/n). Thanks for coming here today," the owner of the deep voice said, who Nishinoya introduced as their captain, Sawamura Daichi.

"Nishinoya said you really had been a great help with his studies," their vice-captain, Sugawara Koushi, commented in a gentle voice.

"I-it was nothing senpai..." you bashfully replied. Your gaze turned to another tall player whose brown hair was tied into a bun. Recognizing it was their strong yet timid 3rd year ace, you bowed quickly as a greeting and a sign of respect. He too, bowed slightly, smiling meekly.

The other second years were also there, greeting you with brief "hi's" and "how-are-you's" until it was all interrupted by two loud random unintelligible shouts of desperation, together with thundering footsteps approaching the gym. Everyone's attention turned to the loud first years, one raven-haired and one pumpkin-haired, both running as fast as they could as if trying to outrun the other. Another pair of male players were following them far behind, walking on their own pace.

"UWWWOOOHHHH!!!!" The loud first years raced against each other until they abruptly stopped at the gym entrance.

"It's... huff... my win this time Kageyama...!" the shorter pumpkin-haired male declared, panting heavily.

"Idiot! I... huff... was a split second... huff... ahead of you!" the sharp-eyed raven-haired one argued.

You sweatdropped at their childish arguments. Someone however, was clearly not amused with how the duo was acting, and Sugawara noticed this.

"O-oi... K-Kageyama-kun, Hinata-kun. It's about time to practice. Why don't you two go inside and prepare the gym already?" the 3rd year suggested in a kind tone although his smile was out of nervousness if the duo did not stop their bickering.

"The king and the shrimp never learns," a tall blonde guy remarked. He pushed up his black-rimmed glasses while a smirk surfaces on his features.

"As expected from Tsukki!" the freckled male beside him exclaimed as the other first years reacted violently because of the former's remark.

"Shut up Yamaguchi."

"Sorry Tsukki."

Their kind vice-captain intervened once again saying, "Well, let's all head inside then ok?"