The Departure

To Alexandra's surprise, when she arrived, no one was there. She remembered what Paul had said when she told him she'd be joining the expedition.

"Are you sure?" he'd said.

She was sure. Sure that he moved the meeting point to trick her! She started searching the room. She opened drawers, cabinets, closets. Until she saw it. Hidden under a stack of papers, there was an official document that read:

The Desert Expedition,

An expedition where we will search for lost explorers while collecting ancient artifacts. If you wish to join, meet Expedition Chief Paul at his office on Bombay street. The team will leave from the airport as soon as enough people have volunteered.

The airport! Paul told her they were leaving from his office! She took her bag and headed to the airport. She passed several people wondering why she was dressed like an explorer. She ignored their stares and continued on. At the airport, she found Paul and told him:

"You think you can get rid of me that easily?"

"Alexandra! What do you mean by 'get rid of you'?" Paul answered.

"You told me we were meeting at your office!"

"A simple mistake. If you'd read the paper you would know we were meeting at the airport."

"You expect me to believe that?"

"Yes. Because it's the truth."

Alexandra looked around and realized everyone else present was a man. "You don't want me on this expedition because I'm a woman!" she accused.

"Preposterous," he said, clearly getting nervous.

"Well I'm coming. Even if you don't want me to."

"But-," Paul began.

"Let her come!" said one of the explorers. "She'll go back when she gets too scared."

"Too scared?! Too scared?!" Alexandra told him. "You'll probably run back home before it even gets dangerous."

"Cut it out." Paul interrupted. "We're leaving, come if you want. But it's not my fault if you get hurt or lost."

"Oh, I'm coming."

"Before we leave, I have to make sure everyone's here. Thomas Harper?"

"Here!" Thomas shouted.

"Shane Peterson?"

"Yeah, I'm here," Shane replied.

"Howard Miller?"

No one answered.

"Howard Miller?" Paul repeated.

"Oh, me? I wasn't really listening," Howard said.

"Felix Tyler?"

"Yeah, I guess I'm coming," Felix said, sounding unconvinced.

"Jim Fletcher?"

"Yup," Jim answered.

"Ralph Andrews?"

"I'm here! How are you, Paul?"

"Fine. Let's go!"

So they left to find their former comrades. Most of the team was wondering what happened to them. Well, they would soon find out.