xxxviii

a/n: i know it's super easy to skim/skip poetry and lyrics in stories, but i wrote a poem for this chapter and it's really important for the plot, so please bear with me <3 also, unfortunately i don't think wattpad's formatting looks good for poems (at least not on the app), so huh, if it bothers you as much as it does me, my @ on ao3 is the same and i posted the poem separately on my profile. i can't link it here, hence the long message lol 

songs mentioned and/or used as inspiration were added to the usual playlist, except the one linked above as a YT link because it isn't on spotify. i also can't seem to stop making playlists for this story, so here's the link of the songs i was obsessively listening to while writing the chapter: https://open.spotify.com/user/0gkloeja4lyza9rvhk4ouzwbx/playlist/78TvqRs30bAngBLR0jgUHl?si=4UpMIzX9Rj-JrxUa8_T2Iw (it's probably easier to just search mjfeelz on spotify and find the playlist named 'xxxviii')

translations of spanish in the comments.

-------------------------

xxxviii.

Like any other couple that's ever lived and loved, Camila and Lucy fight.

They have irrelevant domestic disputes because Camila is disorganized and Lucy isn't, and now that they sleep together more often and usually in Lucy's apartment since they're both in L.A., their different approaches to being at home and to their personal space are more evident. Sometimes they clash. However, Camila is trying to keep the public areas of the house tidier even if her drawer is still chaos, and Lucy is trying not to be bothered by Camila squeezing the tube of tooth paste in the middle instead of from the bottom.

They had a ridiculous fight once, because Camila complained that, after Lucy began the slow process of becoming a vegetarian, her poop started smelling worse. Lucy took it the wrong way, her insecurities kicking off and making her accuse Camila of not supporting her and her choices. The fight was over four minutes later, when a fuming Camila got up, sprayed the bathroom with her perfume and went to sit at the kitchen table to noisily eat a raw carrot while glaring at Lucy from afar. After that, Lucy bought a lavender-scented bottle of Poo~Pourri and kept it next to the toilet for use whenever necessary. There had been no further discussion about toilet smells and unrelated associations with being or not being a good partner.

The conversations they had to have about Lauren could barely be considered arguments, but Camila counts them anyway. Most of them had been inevitably uncomfortable, leaving her with a bitter taste in her mouth that Lucy would kiss away with bananas and chocolate. It's a most delicate situation, to find yourself in a love triangle of past and present, and of all your doubts and frailties.

She's grateful that's behind them now, that they've sorted through their Lauren feelings and managed to establish a healthy friendly dynamic with her, even if it had taken them a year to get there.

It's funny though. Camila had always thought Lauren would be the cause of their first big fight. All of her unresolved trauma would come back to bite her in the ass instead of being handled and healed, and she'd lose Lucy in the process. For so long, that had been her biggest fear.

Turns out Lauren had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, turns out that their first big fight — and what a huge, messy event it is — is entirely Camila's fault.

*

It starts off a regular enough day.

Camila wakes up alone at the label's apartment, where she'd slept for the first time in a week because Lucy's apartment is on the other side of town and she has a morning meeting with execs. She shoots Lucy a quick text wishing her a good day and reminding her she'll be busy but they'll see each other later, and throws her phone inside her bag, heading towards the bathroom to have a shower.