twenty four

Eunha's P.O.V.

While Yerin unnie's gone, I take this moment to quickly make our own breakfast- Yuju's, Umji's and mine.
Even though unnie already knows we're vampires, I don't want to shock her further by showing her that we use blood in our food.

I hurriedly pour water into three cups and add two spoonfuls of peach powder into each cup of water before stirring.

Kyaa~ Peach-flavoured ice tea in the morning is just perfect.

Once the sugary particles dissolve into the water, I empty a small pouch of blood into each cup before stirring thoroughly and adding a drop of colour-neutralizer.

Usually I don't use colour-neutralizers, as- well, there's no point, but I don't want to scare Sojung unnie, Yerin unnie, and SinB.

I watch as the dark-red colour of the blood slowly fades away into a white/orange translucent tint.

Okay, that's that. Now...

I bend down to retrieve a couple pieces of raw meat, before pausing.

I probably shouldn't give them meat today...

Yeah, it's too unsafe. And there's no way you can conceal raw meat, so...

As a substitute for the meat Umji and Yuju usually have for breakfast, I pull out pancake mix and quickly whip up pancake batter before pouring a couple pouches of blood in.

Okay. I know this sounds truly disgusting, but this tastes good to us. It's like how some Koreans- well, those who are human- always have kimchi with their meals. It just fits perfectly with anything!

I finish making Yuju and Umji's pancakes and the hunters' breakfasts, and carefully set the dishes onto the dining table.

"Yah! Yuju-yah, Umji-yah! Come eat!" I call out while washing my hands.

"Coming!" Umji's voice responds, before her and Yuju shortly appear.

"Huh? What's this, unnie?" Yuju asks curiously, staring at the pancakes on their plates.

"It's just for today," I whisper, turning off the tap as I look around. "So the hunters don't get, uh, shocked at you guys eating raw meat."

"Oh."

"Mkay then. Besides, if Eunha unnie made it, it should be good!" Umji beams, sitting down.

"At least we can still have our iced tea, I guess," Yuju sulks.

"Oh, just eat already," I laugh, calling Yerin unnie and the others to the table before digging in.

I was calm up until now, but in the face of food after practically starving for around 14 hours- even though it's not our ideal meal- I lose it.

My whole plate's completely gone in maybe, 2 minutes?

Umji and Yuju finish shortly after me, and by the time Yerin unnie, Sojung unnie, and SinB arrive, we're all already done our breakfast and casually sipping on our peach iced tea.

"Thanks, Eunha," Sowon unnie says almost timidly as she sits down beside Yerin unnie.

"Yeah, no problem," I respond.

Yuju shoots me a look that seems to scream:
Colour-neutralizer? Really?

I fire off a glare of my own.
Can't be helped.

Yuju sighs and continues sipping while stifling a laugh.

"Tastes the same as always, Eunha-yah," Yerin unnie laughs nervously.

Why nervously, you ask?

I risk a peak over at SinB, and quickly avert my eyes.

She doesn't look very happy to be eating at the same table as us.

Just then, thank the heavens, my phone buzzes.

"Ah- I have to take this call, sorry," I say, hurriedly getting up from my seat.

"Mkay," I hear Yuju say as I rush outside onto the porch.

I look around to make sure no one's listening before picking up the call.

"Hello? Sana?"

Yuju's P.O.V.

Ah... this is awkward.

I glance around at the others, who are eating in silence.

Damn you, Eunha, for leaving Umji and I alone like this.

"Unnie, I'm going to go wash up and study, okay?" Umji whispers quietly under her breath, slowly getting up from her seat as well.

"Alright," I respond, ignoring the sudden throb of pain in my chest.

Once I'm sure Umji left the dining area, I clutch at the area of pain as unnoticeably as possible, letting out an ever-so-quiet groan.

But SinB just happens to look up from her plate at that moment, and our eyes meet.

"..."

"..."

I keep myself from sighing in relief as SinB lowers her gaze once more, picking up her fork and slowly eating.

However, that relief is almost immediately replaced with anger at remembering what SinB said earlier.

Serves her right.

My blood boils at the mere thought of that.
What did Eunha do to deserve any of this?? Why do any of us deserve this??

We're just trying to quietly live our lives. It's the hunters that always barge in on our business.

"Yuju-yah, how're your wounds?" A small voice asks, snapping me back to reality.

I look up to see Yerin unnie looking at me timidly.

Yerin unnie- she's the one Eunha was close friends with, isn't she?

Wait... she's also the one who gave Eunha that drink...

But she didn't seem to have bad intentions.

"I'm fine," I mumble, still thinking about that tonic she gave to Eunha.

As if she reads my mind, she responds,
"Look- I- I don't know what was wrong with the medicine- I didn't- "

"It's fine," I cut her off, at which she shrinks back into her seat.

"I mean- it's okay, Eunha's woken up anyway, so..." my voice trails off into the awkward silence holding us all captive.

A moment passes, before Yerin unnie speaks up again.

"I- I know we got off on the wrong foot, but if you guys need anything, we- we'll help!"

I smile at unnie warmly.

"Thank you. We appreciate it."

Suddenly, SinB stands up and walks away from the table, not looking back.

We all watch in silence as she grabs her coat and sword and heads out.

"..."

"Sorry about her. She just needs time, maybe..." Sojung unnie says, sighing.

"Yeah- yeah, okay," I reply, taken aback.