18 | god complex

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏GOD COMPLEX▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
GOD COMPLEX
▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

ONTARI WAKES TO the melodic sound of a parachute's descent onto the beach. She stirs, eyelids feeling heavy despite her dreamless sleep, and pushes herself up blearily. It takes a moment for her to assess her surroundings. Peeta and Johanna are already awake. The short-haired girl catches the parachute mid-air, quickly twisting the metal container open to reveal a gift identical to the one they'd received from last night: twenty-four rolls from District Three, which leaves them with over thirty rolls in total.

She accepts one with a muted nod of thanks when Johanna hands her a portion of bread. Cassian is just starting to wake as well. Halfway through the night, he and Finnick must have swapped positions, giving the younger Nightfall a chance to sleep as well. Ontari wishes Finnick would have let Cassian wake her to take watch instead— he hasn't had much rest during these Games and could use more shut-eye.

Ontari smirks at the sight of speckles of sand in her brother's black hair. Reaching over before he can protest, she flattens her palm on his head and aggressively musses the locks up as he gives a yelp of surprise. Her grin fades once she remembers Hestia's attempt to tame his hair the day of their reaping. The bread begins to feel like a rock in her stomach. Suddenly sobered, she lowers her hand and places her two leftover rolls back into the container from the parachute.

The rest of the tributes seem to be in no hurry to get moving. Katniss tugs Peeta over to the sea with the promise to teach him how to swim, Johanna is busy swinging one of her axes around in a fake sparring session with the air, Beetee is still silently clutching the coil of wire, and Finnick looks like he's preparing to fish. He's currently sharpening a spear that someone had picked up from the weapons pile in the Cornucopia. Although his face is set in grim determination, Ontari can tell that his mind is elsewhere from the glassy look in his green eyes.

Cassian takes his share of breakfast over to Beetee. Together, they start conversing so quietly that she wonders if even the powerful microphones hidden throughout the arena are capable of picking up their voices. Ontari can only hope that Katniss and Peeta's splashing in the water will distract the cameras long enough for the men to properly scheme.

Ontari is anxious for the reveal of Beetee's plan. She knows that they're close to the endgame— a time when they must be ready to confuse the Capitol enough for Plutarch to sneak in with a hovercraft and break the remaining tributes out of the arena. But she'd expected to have at least a little more knowledge by now.

The rock in her stomach solidifies even more as doubt seeps into her gut and twists it until nausea rises. Plutarch hadn't even come to her personally to speak with her about the plan. Rather, he'd told Finnick and had him convey the incredibly vague details to her, which she had to pass onto Cassian. She hasn't even seen the new Gamemaker in person, only on the Capitol Report. How is she supposed to trust someone who hasn't given her much to work with?