4

"In just one weekend, soldiers Akan Yasin and Lupita Ulva have been chosen for the Upgrade Initiative," the anchorman said.

Xander popped his head out his bathroom door and dropped his toothbrush in the process. He wiped his mouth as he sat in front of the TV. They couldn't have said that. Two pictures of Lupita and who he assumed to be Akan appeared on the screen. They really said her name. He ran his hands over his face before screaming into them like a little kid. It truthfully wasn't his problem, but he was sure it wouldn't be either of them.

Why would a girl who just graduated training get chosen for a military enhancing procedure? Out of everyone in the Ini Corps, Lupita Ulva is the one chosen? Especially in that time frame. Forget registering for it. Xander didn't have enough time to type the website in the URL bar before the soldiers were chosen. Not even a week! A goddamn weekend.

He put on a shirt and rushed out of his apartment. Everyone kept asking if he heard about Lupita. He gave a nod and a polite shove to anyone in his way. The way he knocked on Lupita's door was almost disrespectful. Her mother, almost a carbon copy of Lupita, open the door with furrowed eyebrows.

"Ms. Serena, is Lupita home?" he said. His left leg bounced up and down as he waited for the answer.

"She's at the Ternion for the upgrade thing," she explained.

"The Ternion?" He pinched his nose again. "Okay. Thank you. Tell Dulcie I said hi. Have a good day Ms. Serena." He started to walk off the porch.

"Xander," Ms. Serena started, "don't you knock on my door like that again."

"Yes, Ms. Serena."

A trip to The Ternion in pajama pants and an over-sized t-shirt was not a well thought out trip. He looked west to his apartment and then east to the Ternion. East he went. The trek to the city center was accompanied by stares and whispers. Really, traveling anywhere in pajama pants and an over-sized t-shirt was a no-no by Kanal fashion standards. Xander imagined the pictures posted on every social media site of the weirdo walking around in pajamas.

Once he got to The Ternion, he wasn't sure where exactly the entrance was. The building was a literal triangle from an aerial view. It was huge and intimidating and to put it simply, Xander wasn't confident enough to enter on his own. He always dreamed about receiving some type of award in The Ternion as a kid. Or at least, walking the halls once in his life.

He sat on the pavement and asked anyone with a uniform if they could let him in. Obviously, the proposal was ridiculous. Even if Xander wasn't a man in pajamas sitting criss-cross apple sauce on the pavement, there was no piggy-backing into The Ternion. Especially in the circumstance that he "really needs to see his friend."

"Now what in the hell you doin', boy?" a man said as he towered over Xander

Xander hopped up and beamed, "Sergeant Gennaro! Could you get in me inside somehow? Have you heard about Lupita?"

"Well hell yeah I know about Ulva. The hell your clothes at?"

"I ran out of my apartment real quickly. Could you get me inside?"

Gennaro sighed and combed through his coarse salt and pepper hair. "Alright boy, come on then. You got your IaWatch on?"

"Yeah! Yeah, I do." Xander scrolled through his information.

"We'll see what I can do." Gennaro always carried the calmest look of stress on his face. He requested to become a training sergeant once the weight of war became too heavy. And considering all the battles he's seen, he deserved the safety and ease of training soldiers.

After Gennaro scanned his IaWatch, Xander followed closely on his heels. The inside was covered in different shades of cool gray. It made Xander rub his arms due to the heavy air conditioning.

"Now, don't touch nothin', ya hear?" Gennaro warned.

Xander nodded and merely examined the space. There was a permanent smile on his face that grew whenever a soldier or officer walked by. That smile was met with looks of confusion because Xander had no business walking those halls in his pajamas. Plenty of officers questioned Gennaro about the situation but Gennaro reassured them that Xander was qualified for entrance.

"Kid!" Moriah stepped out of a room with open arms. "Gennaro, nice to see you. What're you doing here? What're you wearing?"

"The boy wants ta see Ulva. You got any idea where that is?"

"Ulva?"

"Lupita," Xander finally chimed in.

"Oh, oh yeah I got you. The little tough one. She won the upgrade, right? Follow me. She probably doing a bunch of paperwork. That's what I had to do."

They entered a briefing room after a few minutes of walking. Lupita was scrolling on a tablet next to Akan. She whipped around once she heard the door open and huffed at the sight of Xander.

"You didn't sign anything already, right?" Xander asked.

"Yes, I signed the papers," Lupita rolled her eyes and looked at Gennaro. "Why did you bring him here?"

Xander snatched the tablet and scanned the screen. "Do you really wanna do this? There has to be a way to back out or something. Think about it."

"Back out?" a man with huge glasses entered the room. "There's no need for that! Harland Kaihue Jr., nice to meet you all. Call me Harland. Now, I'm guessing you all aren't here for the upgrade initiative. What's the occasion?"

Xander clenched his jaw as Harland smiled.

"No worries, Harland! I'm just checking on the future ambassadors of the program. Don't mind the friends I brought along," Moriah said.

"Well, why don't we give a little taste!" Harland slid Moriah's uniform sleeve back. "This right here? Is the new age of existence. It's an almost seamless transition from body to metal that allows your cyber-life to connect to life itself. It's your S.A.S.S., it's your IaWatch, and it's you. All in one system. Moriah, if you could explain the basic benefits, please."

Moriah shrugged, "Yeah, it's like. If I get cold at home I don't have to ask the S.A.S.S. or touch the thermostat to turn up the heat."

"Exactly. The ease of connection is in your--"

"Quick question," Xander interrupted. "How are all these wires connected to the body? Does anything connect to your brain?"

"And what is your name?" Harland asked.

"Xander Long."

"I don't recall seeing your name on the registration sheets."

"I didn't have a whole lot of time to consider."

"Well, Xander, I can assure you that we wouldn't do anything to put the country in danger. You can trust that we'll take great care of your friend. We've got nothing to hide."

"I sure hope so."

"Feel free to pay a visit at KaiHue HQ sometime. You seem to ask the right questions." Harland gave Xander a quick wink before asking Xander, Gennaro, and Moriah to give him some private time with the winners.