Chapter 2

How long had she been unconscious? She had no idea. But when she eventually woke up, it felt like getting out of the water - her senses sharpened and the world appeared in its true colors. Startled, she realized she was in the middle of the dark forest...sternly tied into the tree. After a moment of struggling against the ropes, she saw Gaston who strode towards her, disgustingly smug vibe radiating from him.

"How poetic! It almost feels like yesterday when I left good old Maurice for the same kind of fate." Lacking any remorse he smiled for his memory. "And now the circle closes."

Hating herself and damning her own stupidity, Belle croaked: "You drugged me!" "So I did", he admitted peacefully and turned his back, saying: "This could've gone in a completely different way...if you just had married me."

"Gaston!", Belle screamed after him and tried desperately to get free. "Please...you can't do this!"

He froze for a moment and turned to look at her. His lips twisted into an apologizing smile. "You make the bed you lie in, Cherie."

There were no need for any more words. He had done what he came for and soon this chapter of his life would be over. Straight-forwardly, he enhanced the sleeves of his coat and disappeared through the trees.

In that dead-silence, shaking for cold, Belle finally gave herself permission to cry. With every tear she said goodbye for the one of her loved ones and thanked the life she had had an honor to live. Like by a common, silent call, the wolves appeared to the clearing, one by one, like they had been expecting her...and blocked her way out. The alpha proceeded smoothly towards her to give the first, deadly strike. Eyes closed and her mouth opened for the scream, she waited for the beast to attack her throat...

...and rose to sit, covered in sweat. Trying to ease her frantic pulse, she looked around to regain the control, and the details filled her mind one by one. The roof of the bed. Night-table. Beautiful paintings. A glimmering chandelier. Everything seemed so familiar, but she didn't dare to trust herself. What if this was yet another of Gaston's plans to rule her life?

In the middle of her considerations she felt, as her shock, the light touch on her shoulder. "Belle? Is everything alright?"

Belle turned around quickly and just now noticed the figure sitting on her bed. The fear instinctively crept into her veins, but it vanished soon, while her glance moved from his long, light-brownish hair to his white collar-shirt - and eventually into his ocean-blue eyes. As always, their gentleness and steadiness released Belle from her panic and calmed her down. After she understood the truth, the feeling of relief spread in her soul and she exhaled with the long and heartfelt sigh. That made her words sound almost like a question. "Adam."

The youngster's face, that had earlier been tightened with worry, softened and turned into an amused and playful smile. "I assume, you expected someone else, then?"

Belle laughed hysterically and wrapped her arms around him. Letting people close, both physically and mentally, had always been difficult for her, but with the help of her soulmate she had changed from "the funny girl" into a respected young woman and learned to let her guards down. Releasing her grip, she looked at him, apologetic. "I'm sorry, I was a fool. I woke you up, didn't I?"

Adam shook his head and put the girl's fitful tress behind her ear. "It's okay. I woke up earlier and went to fetch some water. Would you like some?"

Belle nodded thankfully. "It might actually do good. Thanks." After gripping the glass he offered her and feeling that refreshing liquid dripping down her throat, she felt much better. More like herself. This is what she needed right now - simplicity.

"Would you tell me what happened? Should I ask Mrs. Potts to bring us something to eat?"

Consideration and concern flooding from Adam touched her deeply. "You don't have to. Really. It was only a bad dream, that's all. I'm just happy that it's over."

She could tell from her loved one's observant look that he had noticed the doubt in her voice, but she also knew that he wouldn't want to pressure her to tell anything before she would be ready.

"Okay."

Belle smiled mildly and gave him a brief but passionate kiss. "Have I ever told you you are really sweet when you are worrying?"

Adam answered her smile and growled in a low voice. He knew Belle liked it especially much and therefore saved it for their mutual moments.

This small gesture made Belle close her eyes, smiling, and drift into the dreams that made a lot more sense...