The Antropologist's Secret

Medusa didn't bother herself with listening to the gasps or screams that she knew were coming. She merely turned and began to walk to her campsite. The drenched bag of fish weighed heavily on her shoulders and she had to hop to adjust the bag to a more comfortable spot between her shoulder blades.

The heated sand began to cool as day turned into night and the moon took over the sky. Medusa's new companion remained silent and in the same spot that Medusa left her in. With a sigh, she began to unpack her fish.

The four mackerel were about the size of her forearm. With a few gentle prods, she confirmed that  two of the mackerel were pregnant. That means caviar for me. And maybe for Averi if she breaks out of her shocked state.

"Wait! You're kidding right? You aren't the real Medusa! Medusa is nothing more than a myth. A legend from Ancient Greek times." Gorus, her snake, shook his head and hissed at her.

Medusa readied the bowl for the caviar, "Believe me or do not. But I speak the truth." With an expertly aimed slash, caviar began to spill out into the bowl. Much to her delight, the first fish had so much that it filled her bowl.

"Then, are you saying that my captain didn't have a heart attack and actually is now a stone statue?" Instead of acknowledging Averi, she grabbed a second bowl and emptied the next fish of caviar.

As soon as the fish were empty, she began to clean them. Averi finished her questioning and settled into silence. The only sound between them was the waves and the cutting of the fish.

Exasperated, Medusa said, "Come towards me. I'm going to start a fire and heat some fish for dinner." She didn't wait for a response before beginning to start the fire. Fire was never her strong suit but after being on the island for so long, she had to become proficient at starting them.

"Averi it is alright, I have a cloth here to wrap around my eyes so that you won't be in any danger. The island is cold and dangerous at night, and so I recommend that you come here to the fire." The heat began to wash over Medusa's legs and she untied her toga to better guard against the cold.

"Medusa, can you escort me to your fire?" Medusa looked around and knew that she was within sight of the beach.

"I see no need for I am comfortable and warm and you have working legs. It would be a waste for me to rise to escort you this short distance." She realized that she sounded cold and unfeeling and kicked herself. Let's try something else, "Dear girl, why would you need escorting." That made Averi go silent.

The fire crackled and Medusa laid a weaved rack for the fish over the fire. A smoky aroma of cooked fish filled the air soon after. She looked up from her cooking to see that Averi was swaying back and forth.

"I need escorting because I'm blind. Which is also why I can't be alone."