Chapter Eighteen

I'd have to put my feelings on the side until I charged forwards and talk to Nathan about what has been happening

I'd have to put my feelings on the side until I charged forwards and talk to Nathan about what has been happening. Too many thoughts are flying through my mind to comprehend, I ignore them.

'Meet at yours?' – Riley.

'Yes.' – Nathan.

His answer is brief and doesn't do a thing to settle the nerves chewing away at my stomach lining.

"To Nathan's house, please." Archer stops driving towards mine, and switches in the favour towards Nathan's. I don't know the direction of Nathan's house, but Archer seems to. I guess there isn't too many large house floating around in the city. If I was to own a mansion, I'd want it to be near the beach or next to some place cool, like Disneyland.

Archer turns the radio on so the car trip is no longer silent. The song that begins to play on the radio makes me sink further into the chair and hide under my jacket. Staying in bed this morning is still the favourable option.

When we arrive at Nathan's house, Archer insists on waiting out the front instead of leaving me by myself. I insist he doesn't need to stay, but Archer still disregards my wishes and parks the car.

"Looking after you is my job, one I take seriously and with pride," he goes to say, "I have games and books to keep me amused."

I don't bother insisting, I just let Archer be. It's comforting to know I have a quick escape plan in case things go haywire, but I won't tell him that. I sum up all my courage to open the door and leave my safe zone.

As I walk up the skinny pathway to the door, I notice the handle rattles and the door opens with Nathans standing on the other side. This is the first time I get to walk through the front door, it's a shame it's not on a better term.

Nathan's eyebrows are pushed together in a tangled mess, his nervous appearance almost mirrors my own which doesn't help the situation. If Nathan isn't confident about what's going to happen, I can't be either.

A whole new swirl of emotion and thought running through my mind.

"Come inside." I follow Nathan through the house and into a side room which looks like it's been designed to appeal to a younger audience through the images and interior design. There's funky art work all over the wall with hilarious slang and expressions. The space is long with an area with a couch and TV, to the other side having a small pool table.

"Do you want a drink?" asks Nathan.

Drinking water is the last thing I want to do right now.

"Can you just tell me what's happening between you and Sasha?" Slips out of my mouth. My self-control is slowly slipping, I'm too curious and nervous. I just want to be hit with the information now rather than later. One big blow works nicer than small ones.

"I was at Sasha's house to ensure things between us were done for good. She'd been asking if we could hang out again, but I turned her down," he explains.