Chapter 4

Their faces were clammy, the slow blown mizzle forming droplets on their hair. Jenny was instantly struck by how different the place was compared to the previous day. The grand houses and trees felt subdued by the dull grey light which deprived everything of its detail.

She had been nervous yesterday because she hadn't known about how she would cope if he was as awful in person as his image portrayed, all TV teeth and caustic put-downs. But she realised as soon as she met him that needn't have worried. 

Strangely she had been early so she was perched on top of a garden wall just down from his mansion killing time before her appointment. The low sun was washing the houses in twenty-four carat gold, making their understated luxury seem even more impressive. Here and there fallen leaves from London Plane trees lapped against the wheels of sleek German saloons. She had become vaguely aware of someone running towards her so she looked up from her phone. It was Duncan Cassidy jogging down the flagstoned pavement. A couple of paces past, he'd stopped and turned and smiled broadly at her.

'Jenny Jenson by any chance?'

She was nervous today too, she was about to break into his house.

As soon as Jenny and Cath rounded the corner into the street where Duncan's mansion was situated they caught sight of a hoard of paparazzi loitering on the pavement like a shoal of hungry piranha. There was no easy way they were going to get past that lot without getting noticed, but there were no police yet, which was a bonus.

She turned to Cath who had dropped back a couple of paces and said, 'Don't worry, I've got a plan.'

She pulled her phone out of her handbag and dialled Jamie, habitual FWB or nominal boyfriend for want of a better word. From where she was standing she saw him answer the call.

'Hiya, it's me... I was wondering if you would be a total sweetheart and do me and Cath a big big favour?'

'Not now Jen, I'm busy. Duncan Cassidy has been arrested and I'm outside his house.'

'Yeah I know. In fact I can see you from where I am standing.' She watched him glance about nervously. When he finally caught sight of her, she gave him a small wave with just her fingers. 'Look, me and Cath have just got to get into his house and we really don't want anyone to see us.'

'You're kidding aren't you? Why the hell would you want to do that?'

'I interviewed him yesterday but stupidly I left my recorder in there.'  For a brief moment a flicker of guilt tickled in her stomach. 'You couldn't create a bit of diversion for a minute or two could you?'

'Dunno? How'd I do that?'

'Well,  when you've finished talking to me, why don't you jump on your scooter and zoom off round the corner. If you make a big enough meal of it they'll all think you've had a tip-off and they might all follow you like a flock of little lambs.'

'Yeah fat chance. What if I miss out on something here? This is massive and I've just gotta get something soon. I really need the money.'

'Believe me,' she said. 'You aren't going to get anything hanging round here. Why don't you make a quick trip to the bookies and stick a tenner on a horse for me? I'll even let you keep the winnings.'

He sighed. 'You'll have to give me that tenner tonight cos I'm completely skint and you're gonna owe me big style.'

She frowned to herself. It was funny how he always saw things like that, but if there was one thing that was bound to get Jamie motivated it was the excuse for a punt. She felt a little bit bad because she was feeding his habit but she also knew that this would be the only way they were ever going to get into the house without being spotted. 'Thanks hun,' she said, 'you're a real sweetie.'

'I know I am.' He flashed his disarming smile at her across the road. 'I'll call round later and get the money, OK?'

Jamie sauntered off down the street to where his Vespa was parked. He grabbed his open face helmet out of the top-box and swung himself onto the saddle. It was looking good, he'd caught the attention of one or two of the photographers. He kick-started the engine and revved it loudly a couple of times but then it died. 'Fucking piece of shit,' she heard him shout above the dull hum of the traffic passing on the main road at the far end of the street. She guessed he was hamming it up. He kicked over the engine twice more and then it burst into life and he buzzed off down the street leaving a cloud of blue smoke in his wake.

But it wasn't going to work, a couple of the photographers were were watching him go but most of them just ignored it. That meant they were just going to have to brazen it out. 

She beckoned to Cath to follow and she darted across the road and up the driveway which ran all the way up to the side of Duncan's house. All the while she could hear Cath's footsteps clomping furiously behind her.  When she reached the house she ducked the corner and stood panting with her back to the wall while she waited for Cath to catch up.

'Fucking-hell Jen.'

'Shhh,' she said.