02 - Bloodshed

"Do you think they'll be back soon?" Carl asked as he dragged his stick across the dirt ground, frowning when it snapped in half

"It's only been like an hour since they left."
(Y/N) answered back before taking another sip from her water bottle. "I hope they're okay." Carl sighed, "I hope my dad gets back safe."

(Y/N) set the bottle down and continued to sharpen her knife, "Your dad is tough. He knows how to take care of himself." She punctuated her sentence as she scraped her knife over her small slab of whetstone, "I don't think there's anything that could keep him from getting back to you and your mom."

Carl shrugged and tossed the broken stick into the fire, making it crackle as the flames ate it up. "Are you mad at him? For leaving your brother behind." He asked, making her shake her head in response. "Everything happens the way it's supposed to."

"Even the bad stuff?"

She nodded, "Even the bad stuff." She repeated in affirmation, lifting her knife closer to her face to inspect the blade. Once (Y/N) deemed it sharp enough, she slid it back into place behind her belt loop.

"Alright, I better go check the snares." She told the boy as she stood, patting down the dirt that had attached to the ass of her pants. "Can I go with you?" Carl asked as he stood as well. "Your mom wouldn't be comfortable with that, especially after finding that walker this morning."

His face fell at that realization. (Y/N) smiled sympathetically and ruffled his hair, "Plus, wren't you and Shane gonna go catch frogs?"

Carl gleamed up at her, "Then we can have squirrel and frogs for dinner!" She chuckled at his excitement, "Exactly. So why don't you go on and find him."

With that, Carl ran off to find the man, nearly tripping over the gravel as he hurried to find him.

She sighed, watching him run out of sight before turning to the RV, "Aye Dale! M' Gonna head out." Dale gave a nod in acknowledgment, "Just don't go to far. If you're not back before sunset, I'll come running." He warned.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes and picked up her bottle. "Yes, Mom." She called out, heading towards the trees, making him laugh. Thickets and bushes crunched under her boots as she broke past the tree line and headed into the woods.

——

"See any walkers out there?" Shane asked after noticing (Y/N) emerge from the trees. "All I saw were trees and bushes." She announced as she finished the last few drops of water from her bottle. Shane rubbed the sweat of his forehead as he made her way towards her.

"I'm gonna do a perimeter check tomorrow morning. I could use a partner." He said suggestively, his voice sounding almost sultry. She furrowed her brows in confusion, "Sure I guess. I gotta check the rest of the snares in the morning anyway."