_________ And Chill

The Art of Slowing Down

The timing of this post really couldn't have happened better. The best part? I came up with it this morning.

It's not that I wasn't thinking about what to post throughout the week, it's just that none of them felt right. They were all about, "How to improve your writing," "How hobbies help us," "Blah blah blah, buy my worksheets, blah blah."

I didn't want to read my stuff. Eesh.

I'm going to get real with you all and give you a little peek into my life at the moment, in the hopes that something about what I've been struggling with will help you this Christmas season.

It's the Most Stressful Tim of the Year

If you sang that to the tune of, "It's the most wonderful time of the year," give yourself a cookie on me. Maybe even two.

I say that because, if you read the "When Life Leave You Going, "What the...?" post a couple of weeks back, you'll know that I've had to move my family and that I've been doing it by myself (in part) and it's been a tad bit stressful.

In addition to that, I've been putting in close to 16hr days working on my business, promoting my worksheets, and writing a series of short stories called, These Guys, for an app called, Texties, and actually getting paid to do it.

All that is not to say, "poor me," far from it; it's what's happening right now in life, and like all things, it's a season.

Speeding Up, Burning Out

Ever since I injured my shoulder back in November I've been trying to do a couple of things:

1. Heal: I can use my shoulder now, but I still can't do my job yet which is frustrating.

2. Dive into writing: This includes fixing the website, creating the worksheets, writing a series of short stories, my fanfiction stuff, and my blog (ta-dah!).

I've succeeded in doing every single one of these things, and I feel really good about how I've been doing, but I am also starting to feel it catching up to me. You know the feeling, don't you? That one where your mind is going a thousand miles per hour and your body is trying to keep up.

Then, suddenly, you go splat on the wall, and it takes you weeks to recover...before you start doing it all over again.

Take Two Doses of Chill and Call Me in the Morning

I'm not a doctor, nor should you probably take medical advice from me (I did tell you to eat two cookies after all) but if there is one thing I hope you get from this post, it is this:

The ability to slow down for the betterment of your health will only serve to fuel you, allowing to you go longer, be more productive, and have a more balanced life. Seriously, take a breather.

Some of you have been going so hard, for so long, that you're about at your breaking point and you're scared because if you break it'll cost you your job, house, family, marriage, relationship, etc.

Hear me on this: It doesn't mean that you stop doing everything all together! Please, do not do that!

Instead, in the midst of all of the madness, stop, take a moment, and breath. Take two minutes and do some deep breathing. It isn't voodoo; it's learning how to calm yourself, so you don't burn out.

In addition to that, here are some things that people find relaxing and might help you. I would suggest picking one or two to start (no need to burn yourself out by adding more stuff to the list, right?).

1. Reading: This is a surefire way for me to relax and I do not do it nearly enough. Put a book and my hands and leave me alone for a few hours...or days...depends on the book.

2. Yoga: If you want to learn how to calm your body down and breath, this is a great way to do that. I've done yoga, and after a couple of weeks, I felt my body transition to a must calmer state. Now, there are a lot of things I don't believe about the spiritual side of yoga as a Christ follower, but the physical activity is super good for you no matter your background.

3. Cycling: I loved doing this when I had my bike (and time). There is something freeing about battling your mind and body and pushing yourself. I was not a casual biker, but neither was I Lance Armstrong. It just felt good. 

4. Running: Admittedly, this is not something I do. Unless someone is chasing me or I'm chasing a stubborn little basset hound down the street (they are surprisingly fast for having such stubby little legs) I see no need to kill my knees. But, people do find this relaxing, so maybe give it a try.

5. Writing: Did you think I wouldn't put this one on here? Writing can be very relaxing. Whether you are just writing in a journal (which I highly recommend doing), writing a blog, a story, a poem, haiku, or whatever comes to mind, the act of writing engages both sides of the brain which helps us process life better.

6. Go for a walk: Get out in nature! Go hug a tree, play in a river, catch a fish, look for wildlife, listen to the breeze whisper through the limbs. Our bodies were made to be in nature, and many elements help with our physical and mental health when we are out in nature.

'Tis the Season

Seeing as though this is the last post before Christmas, I would be remiss not to bring it up. Don't miss out on Christmas because your too busy burning both ends of the rope. As someone who is, as of right now, doing that very thing: 

Stop. Breath. Rest.

Christmas is so hyped up and commercialized nowadays; advertising seems to start right after Halloween now, and Black Friday deals start on Thanksgiving. QVC can sell you something for six easy payments, and you can hit up the local Christmas bazaar and see the same things that were there last year.

You can buy your kids a new phone/laptop/tablet and get them tons of gifts, all the while you add to your ever-increasing debt load that never seems to get any smaller. You can go back to work, put in some overtime to help pay for everything, only to find yourself overworked, over-stressed, and burning out.

Or, maybe, just maybe, you can make it a priority this Christmas season to take the focus off the presents, the tree, the commercialized version of Christmas that companies feed you when they pretend to care about you (hint: they don't) and instead pause. 

Look around. Breathe. 

Remember the greatest gift that was given: Jesus.

Don't miss out on the wonder of Christmas. Don't buy into what everyone is trying to sell you. Don't add pressure to yourself by trying to do everything at once, thinking that you'll come out ahead.

Be present. 

Find balance. 

Breathe.

Merry Christmas to you all.