t w e n t y t w o

KUN

Do you have some
time?

LIAN

Yeah what what is it?

KUN

I needed to tell you
something in person

LIAN

Kun, it's 10:24

KUN

Oh yeah, I forgot

KUN

How about tomorrow
before you leave?

LIAN

Well I'm sure I can squeeze
some time I have something
tell you too

LIAN

My mom is calling
I gotta go :)

KUN

Go ahead. And
goodnight.

LIAN

Goodnight Xiao tie

LIAN is offline.

KUN is offline.

-

the next day.8:17am.narrative. 8 hours and 43 minutes before takeoff

"So, what did you want to tell me?"

They ordered two freshly brewed cups of coffee and sat by the window of the coffee shop.

Kun was paying and didn't mind that he was. Other thoughts were occupying his mind.

"There's actually a lot that I wanted to say. I don't know if you want me to pour it all out," Kun says and looks around in nervousness.

Lian speaks up,"How about starting from the beginning?"

Kun looks at her with a focused stare, "I didn't think that we'd become friends like how we did..."

"There was a time when I wasn't sure it was a good idea to lie about relationship to Sanghyuk and or indirectly manipulate Junhee into going out with me..."

How he was able to just keep talking and not show his nervous side was beyond him.

"Then when Junhee really went out with me, you and I got closer as friends. We found out things about each other, made nicknames for each other, and all these things that I've never done with someone."

He takes a peek at Lian to make sure she wasn't confused. Thankfully, she wasn't.

"Now that you're leaving, I feel like there's something I need to tell you and that is I-I..."

He was doing so well, but he didn't know what was stopping him. Was he scared of her answer? Was it all going to crash down from the clouds and straight toward the earth.

Would he have to lose her friendship...

"What is it?" She said.

He had to say something...

"I'm so glad to be your friend," And there it was. That was the best he could think of.

She furrowed her eyebrows and chuckled.

"Thanks, Kun. Are you going to miss me so much that you're saying that?"

"I..I..." He grabbed his coffee and took a sip, "This is really good,"

Lian notices the weird change of topic and wanted to question it, but decided against it to also taste the coffee.

For a moment, it was silent. The other customers filled the empty spaces and so did the working of the employees.

Maybe Kun was jittery about her leaving. Maybe she thought he was just trying to have a good time since she was going to leave. Maybe he needed some time alone just before she left for six months.

There was a buzzing noise that churned from a phone and Lian reached to hers on the table to answer it.

It was Ryuyoung. Lian eyes Kun and Kun nods for the go-ahead.

"Ryuyoung?"

"Lian? Hate to disturb you but apparently the flight changed to a sooner time today..."

"What? What do you mean it changed?"

"The administration came to our dorm just now and told me to tell you since you weren't here. Said it's because the original flight had been cancelled due to the pilot getting into an accident... They've replaced him and now it's an earlier flight."

"What time?"

"Takeoff is in 7 hours now..."

"Alright, I'll get to the dorms soon,"

The call ended and Lian looked at the boy in front of her and couldn't bare it.

Lian says,"I have to leave sooner than planned,"

She tried to smile. For some reason, it hurt her to leave him of all people now earlier than planned.

Kun was staring at the coffee in his hands and then down to his feet. He couldn't look at her just yet.

There was optimism for another time though if only he had the courage to say... if only.

"Really... Shall we go back then?"

"We should,"

They got up and Kun went to the cashier to pay. They left shortly after to walk towards the school.

Kun involuntarily made heavier steps as Lian just walked in front of him and talked about random subjects that'd he'd respond to.

He looked down at his feet admiring the shadow her body made on the sidewalk.

For a little longer.

He wished. He wished to be by her side. If only...