~ The Escapade ~

Although loud when he speaks, the Gentleman is otherwise a discreet man. He never announces his arrival, solely introduces himself to women chosen based on a set of criteria only known to him – while providing just enough details to achieve his goal – always attends a gathering by a different host, and rarely visits the same location twice.

Due to his evasive nature, at most a few recognize the respected figure in the old limping fashion disaster at each gathering. The rest of the attendees regards him with contempt when he enters the room. Men glare at him with disdain and women, with revulsion.

The Gentleman, however, never appears intimidated by their contempt. He scrutinizes the new, yet familiar figures, reads their body language, then dives straight to his prey, like an eagle. With his limp and the deep breath that he has to take at each step, his movements may seem harmless, almost comical, but misunderstanding them as such is dangerous. This gait is a symptom of the Gentleman's poor health but also an unintentional disguise.

The show begins when the Gentleman sits next to a group of women with the potential he seeks. He starts telling a series of tales about him that are far from autobiographical. They are stories about a life the listeners believe in and desire, about a life with no worry.

While his old age has degraded his body, it has sharpened his mind. The Gentleman knows well that, although desires vary among individuals, they can all be condensed into a single one. Although humans are intelligent and complex at times, they are more often naïve and simple, especially when they are presented with an opportunity to fulfill their greatest desire with little effort.

The Gentleman starts his tales with the mention of great assets he owns, and he lets slip a few figures – big enough to draw attention, but small enough to remain believable. He weaves his tales swiftly and faultlessly like an old, experienced spider on his web. For more credibility, the Gentleman throws a date and a name here and there.

At this point, the younger, more gullible ones are already gazing at him dreamily, eyes sparkling with lust and delusion. For the Gentleman, who pretends to not have noticed, it is a sign to end his tales. To convince the more suspicious ones, the Gentleman concludes his last tale with a swift swipe of his Gold Card, compensating the dinners and drinks of his whole audience – women and the men who joined later for the tales. He leaves his large leather card holder wallet open just long enough for everyone to notice the countless number of Gold Cards and membership cards of exclusive clubs for men of his class.

The Gentleman then exchanges contact information with the eager, straightforward ones, but he knows that the real prey is the one who secretly finds him when he leaves the building or when he pretends to go to the men's room. She is always the most gullible one, the one who gazed at him with awe at the first sentence of his tales. She is often a young, pampered girl who is either a virgin or an audacious, naïve beautiful creature who has had too many young lovers, always less cunning than herself.

Although bold and more cunning than those of her age, she is often uncertain. Sensing her hesitation, the Gentleman gives her his fatherly gaze, one filled with the warmth and promises that every young girl – mischievous or innocent, miserable or spoiled – has been unknowingly seeking for. All incertitude vanishes.

He opens the door to his limited-edition sports car for her. She mounts it between drunk, mirthful giggles, then together, they disappear into the night.

To be continued...

Note on music: a song about seduction