PROLOGUE

⟡⟡⟡⟡

⟡⟡⟡⟡

SHERRY DAVIS HATED WYZT. She was beyond grateful for everything the station did for her, but she really did hate them. They didn't care about her, her family, or the talented black youth that starred in their monthly program, they only cared about ratings and keeping up a perfect image. She knew the only reason Negro Day was even a thing was because of Corny Collins himself not because of the big shots who controlled the station. So, yeah, she was thankful for WYZT, but in all reality she could care less about the station that hosted her.

If anything, she was more grateful for the people who were there for her when she just started in Baltimore.

She was grateful for her auntie Maybelle, her younger cousins Seaweed and Little Inez, and for the man who gave her a chance Mr Corny Collins.

Corny Collins was something else. First of all, Sherry wasn't even sure that was his real name, I mean who really names their own flesh and blood 'Corny'? But besides his obviously fake name, his hard as plastic hair, and his wildly colored suits, he was actually a good person.

Good people are hard to find and finding an honest, humble, revolutionary white man who was as kind as Corny was like looking for a needle in a pile of needles. 

So, when Sherry Davis met Corny Collins, she was surprised. He wasn't like the rest of them. He never once took advantage of her, looked down at her, felt like he was better than her, and for that Sherry was thankful.

In fact, he listened to every word that came out of her mouth, encouraged her ideas, helped her when she felt hopeless, and reassured her that things would get better.

Which is how Sherry Davis fell in love with Corny Collins