I'm Not a Coward and I Prove it This Time

Now the story of how the Gibbs came to acquire the old Chevy Camaro was full of twists and turns and coincidences, but what I told my sister– since she was out of the loop– was something along the lines of the uncle who got sent to prison lent it to them as a thank you for taking care of his daughter, which would be Melanie.

I could hear that car coming from a mile away, and had just enough time to pull my jacket over my button down. Layers were the key: casual yet comfortable.

"Bye, Cat! I'll be back tonight!"

"Obscure!" she hollered back from her old bathroom, "Remember, no drinking and driving! And don't leave your drink unattended!"

"How do you know there's gonna be drinks?" I asked scathingly.

She leaned out of the bathroom brandishing her curling iron. "The kid's name is Austin?"

"Yeah?" I shrugged.

Her face fell as she tried to be overdramatic. "Jocks always have alcohol."

I rolled my eyes, saying quickly, "No one really calls people that anymore, but bye, Cat."

"Bye, Meelo."

I had this weird moment of vertigo just as my hand gripped the back door handle: my stomach bottomed out and my head spun.

Probably just needed a smoke.

Which... Really, wouldn't be able to happen.

At least, that was what I told myself it was as I strolled down the driveway, seeing A.W. leaned up against the camaro, wearing a cap over a polo and sweats and a bomber jacket. Somehow it all just worked on him. Not that I would know, but–

My eyes landed on the car and he began to beam as my voice got louder, "YeeEEEESSSS!!!"

Dark blue and shiny, with a V8 engine under the hood–

A.W. laughed, "We might as well take it for a few spins before we get to Austin's. Don't want to arrive on time or anything. As long as you don't get us pulled over."

"If anyone would get us pulled over, it'd be you."

"Says the guy to the other guy who actually has a license."

"Yeah, but I'm the better driver."

"Okay." He tossed me the keys. "Prove it."

So I did. I took us down by the quarry where the open gravel was and probably did some damage to the transmission trying to show off.

By the time we got to Austin's at around nine, we were buzzed on adrenaline already, and that was before spiked eggnog and other holiday-themed drinks were pushed into our hands in plastic cups of all shapes and sizes. It was kind of early for Christmas. I, myself, got the classic red solo cup for my eggnog, and it was sweet, but burned my throat.

Awful remixes of Christmas songs were blaring throughout the house. Green and red pinpoints of light moved across bookshelves and coffee tables.

There were definitely more people than I'd thought there'd be.

I got tackled from the side by Matthew. "My dudes! Welcome!"

"Shouldn't Austin be saying that?" I asked.

"He's manning the drinks. I'm supposed to help, but I mean, I don't drink so what's the point?"

I took a whiff of his drink under my nose; no bite, just eggnog. Good to know.

Across the room already, A.W. was with Linus and Ashley, who had a light-up sweater.

I did not see Wendy. Maybe that was intentional. Just wait until you find out who Wendy is.